Part 5

Status: rewritten and updated to be less cringe.

I blink, and then nod slowly. "I suppose so."

"You don't have to answer if this is too uncomfortable, but...where are your parents? How come you only talk about your brothers?" He questions, gently.

I sigh. "My parents died in an auto wreck a few months ago. Darry's my legal guardian."

He seems to freeze up. "I-I'm sorry...I shouldn't have--"

"It's okay Johnny." I offer a smile. "Can I ask you a personal question?"

He nods. "Seems fair."

"Was that your parents yelling earlier at your house?"

He gives a slight nod. "Yeah, they're always screaming at each other."

I frown, not able to imagine what life would be like with my parents always yelling at each other how his were. "Oh..." is all I say.

He pulls out some of his homework and sets it in front of him. "I don't know how to divide two letters together." He says, sheepishly.

I move over to be next to him and look at the work. "These letter are called variables, and it seems complicated to divide them, but it's not. You just keep it as x over x." I explain.

"Oh," he scribbles down some work. "Like that?"

I nod. "Exactly like that."

"I wish my teachers would explain that to me. Every time I ask a question they just huff and tell me something that gets me even more confused." He gives me a small smile. "You should be a teacher for kids who aren't very smart, I bet you'd be good at it. You'd be patient."

I chuckle, lightly. "I'll keep that in mind. Anything else you need help on?"

We work on homework together until Darry comes into the kitchen and begins fixing supper. "Johnny, would you like to stay for dinner?"

Johnny's cheeks heat up and he stammers over his words. "If there's enough...I mean only if you're sure...I mean--"

"I wouldn't have invited you if I wasn't sure." Darry chuckles and pats his back.

Johnny flinches a bit but relaxes after a second. "You alright?" I ask.

He nods, slowly. "Yeah, just nervous around new people."

I frown, mouthing the word, 'sorry.' "Is there anything else you need help on?"

"No thanks, I think you taught me everything I wasn't sure about." He gives a soft smile, which I return.

I study him closely as he packs up his books, taking in the way his black hair falls in his eyes as he leans over. I notice stupid things, too, like how long his fingers are. My heart speeds up for a second.

He sits back up and stretches in his seat, causing his shirt to ride up a little. It takes effort to not stare at that. "You wanna take your stuff up to my room?" I ask.

"Oh, I don't mind sleeping on the couch." Johnny tries to protest.

"Don't worry about it, someone else is always on the couch anyways." I stand and pull him up with me.

Johnny looks around uneasily. "Are you sure I can stay here? I don't want to intrude, and I really don't mind going back home."

Behind him, Darry is looking at us funny. Like he can't believe someone could be so scared they'd be a bother. Knowing the rest of the gang, it's not surprising he might think that. I just smile at Johnny. "I promise, come on."

After hearing his parents yelling, I was even more sure that I wanted him to stay over. No one should have to live in those conditions.

We walk up to my room, and as soon as I show him where to put his stuff I flop down onto my bed and sigh, trying to relax after such a long day. Johnny lays down next to me and gives an uncharacteristic smile.

"What?" I return it easily and turn on my side to face him.

He shakes his head. "Nothing, you're just an...extremely nice person."

I try to cock an eyebrow and fail. "Am I, now?"

He nods and scoots a little bit closer to me. I ruffle his hair and push him away, playfully. He laughs as he falls off the bed. 

"Never mind!" He laughs.

"I ain't nice, I'm tuff!" I assure.

"Tuff wouldn't be the word..." he shakes his head, but is smiling.

"You're right, I'm more brave, dashing, and charming aren't I?"

"I'd say annoying." He laughs again. I reach my hand down to help him up but he instead pulls me off of the bed with him. I land on top of him with a huff. We're both laughing, and then all of the sudden it's serious. We're making eye contact and we go quiet. He averts his gaze with a cough. "Uh, is dinner ready yet?"

I shrug and stand up from the floor. "Should be. Darry's been cooking for a while."

We walk into the kitchen, immediately hit by the smell of food. I pretend not to notice the loud growl from Johnny's stomach. He grimaces and places a hand on his stomach. 

The gang is at the table already, so I take a seat next to Soda while Johnny sits next to Darry and I. Darry had already set out everybody's plates, so we all begin eating.

I could tell that Johnny was trying hard not to just inhale the food. I nudge him. "We've got more, eat as much as you'd like."

He looks at me, and I can tell he says 'thank you', even though we hadn't spoken. I smile at him.

"So John," Two-Bit begins.

"Johnny, I go by Johnny."

"Same difference." Sodapop waves his hand.

"I just prefer Johnny. Please, I don't like John." He says, quietly.

Dally rolls his eyes. "You're really being like that with people you barely know?"

Johnny seems to sink down in his chair. I glare at them, telling them to stop.

Two-Bit doesn't get the message. "I'm just gonna call you John, okay?"

Johnny's breath hitches slightly, but he nods, averting his eyes. "Okay..."

Two-Bit scoffs. "Pony where'd you manage to pick up this guy? He's too quiet. I dunno how I feel about him."

The rest of the gang nods in agreement except for Darry, who slaps the table so hard it echoes off the walls. "Hush up, all of you!" Everyone does, because if Darry yells, he's not messing around.

Johnny puts down his fork and keeps his eyes on the ground. He stands and thanks Darry for dinner before walking into the living room. I glare at everyone again and follow him.

"Johnny, I am so sorry,"

"It's okay..." he sighs lightly. "Maybe I should go home tonight. I can tell when I'm not wanted."

"No!" I say, louder than necessary. "Your parents...they--"

"They'll be too drunk to notice me." He bites back. "I already told you Pony, I don't need you worrying about me."

I stay silent as he shoots me an angry look. "Forget it, I'll just sleep in the lot." He turns and tries to go get his stuff but I grab his wrist.

"No, you're not getting away like that this time." I say, slowly.

He tugs on his wrist. "Let go of me,"

"Johnny, please stay. We can ignore all them, I don't know why they're acting like that. Just...stay. Please." I plead with him.

He looks into my eyes for a second before sighing. "Fine." He mutters and stalks off upstairs to my bedroom.