Part 10

Status: rewritten and updated to be less cringe.

After much convincing, Johnny agrees to stay the night. His demeanor changes, however, as we walk back to my room. He looks almost nervous. "You alright Johnny?" I ask as we get ready for bed.

He nods, but he looks visibly different than even just a few minutes before. "Fine. I'm fine." I frown at him as he slides into bed. "What?" he asks, harsh.

I raise an eyebrow, not letting his tone get to me. "Johnny, what's wrong?" I sit on the bed and place a hand on his knee, rubbing my thumb in circle affectionately. 

He shrugs, eyeing my hand. "I don't really know, I guess I'm just...scared."

"Of what?" I ask, trying to scoot a little closer, but he pushes my hand off and scrambles off away. "How far are you wanting to go tonight?"

Instantly, my cheeks heat up and I groan in embarrassment. "Johnny," I hide my face in my hands. "I didn't plan on doing anything like that at all, I didn't mean to make you uncomfortable." I stand up. "I'll sleep on the floor if it makes you feel better."

Relief washes over his face and he shakes his head. "No, it's fine. It's just my nerves I guess. I got scared. You can, I mean, you don't have to sleep on the floor."

"You sure?" I ask, awkwardly. "I don't want you to do anything that--"

"I'm. Sure." He says, annoyed. 

"Sorry." His mood changes are still a hard thing to get used to. I slowly slide into the bed next to him. We're both on our backs staring up at the ceiling in the dark. "Goodnight, I guess."

It's quiet for a few minutes. I almost think he's asleep when he suddenly speaks. "Pony, I'm sorry." He scoots a little closer to me. "I don't mean to always snap like that, especially at you, but it just comes out."

I sigh and roll over to face him. "I know you don't mean to, it's okay..." I smile lightly, trying to put him at ease. It's not really okay, but I don't want him to get mad again.

His eyes meet mine and he smiles back. "Thanks for being so patient with me,"

"Of course," I whisper. 

We're both silent for a while after that. I'm about to doze off when he speaks again. "Pony...what are we?"

I blink. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, am I just gonna be someone around for you to kiss when you're bored?" He asks, almost sounding bitter.

I frown at him. "Who said that?" I ask. "I know we don't know each other that well now, but I'd like to know more, and I'd like to be with you one day."

"You mean...you ain't gonna mind dating a mess like me?"

I shake my head. "You aren't a mess Johnny. Maybe you don't have the best home life, and maybe your temper bursts out sometimes, but you're not a mess. At least not in my eyes."

Johnny laughs softly and smiles "You're way too nice to me, you know that?" I opened my mouth to say something but he leans in and kisses me gently.

The kiss, once again, sends my heart soaring and makes my stomach feel like it is turning a thousand flips. When he pulls away I want him to kiss me again. That's all I want to do. Lay down and kiss Johnny Cade.

-

The door creaks open, shining blinding light into the room. I groan and shield my eyes and Johnny flinches and wakes up.

I sit up and rub my eyelids. "Soda?"

"Sorry," he whispers. "I didn't mean to wake y'all, I was just coming up for bed, I guess I'll take the couch."

"No," Johnny yawns. "You can have the bed, I'll go home."

"No," I say quickly. "don't go home. I don't want you getting hurt."

Johnny's eyes dart back and forth between me and Sodapop. "I...I can sleep on the couch?"

I nod. "Yeah, I'd prefer that."

He slowly gets out of bed, and gives me a small smile, before disappearing downstairs.

Soda slowly crawls into bed with me. "So, you and Johnny are getting pretty close, huh?"

I nodded. "Yeah...he's, we're good friends."

He's silent for a few minutes before speaking again. "Two-bit told me what happened."

I furrow my brows. "He told everybody?"

"No, just me."

"Oh." I say. "Please don't tell anybody, I don't think he wants anyone to know."

"I won't, I promise." He sighs. "I could have taken the couch you know."

"Johnny's stubborn. He wouldn't have let you." 

Johnny was a little rough around the edges, but he was a good person. My person. My brain surprises me by thinking. 

Sorry this chapter is bad

3/2024 update- this chapter is still bad! It took a lot of work and it's still mostly cringe.