Part 3

Status: rewritten and updated to be less cringe.

Johnny woke up three times that night, each time a little more scared. He had no idea where he was or how he got here, and had trouble even remembering who I was. It took a few minutes of talking to remind him of his day with me and why he was in my bed. Once he ended up remembering he would sigh and try to collect himself, attempting to save face.

I felt bad for him. I didn't know what exactly went on with him at his home, but it couldn't have been anything pleasant.

I stare down at Johnny, contemplating waking him up. It's morning now, and I want to get his half conscious fit over with so he won't be embarrassed in front of the gang.

Gently, I shake his arm, and whisper his name. "Johnny?" I shake him again, and this time he bolts up, yelping slightly upon catching sight of me.

"Easy Johnny," I quietly shush him. "It's just me, Ponyboy, remember? You're at my house."

He stares at me for a second. "I know." It's not as bad this time as the other times had been, I guess.

"Sorry for freaking out through the night..." he muttered.

"It's fine, I wake up at night too. Drives my brother Sodapop crazy." I chuckle and stretch, popping my joints. "Want some breakfast?"

He tenses up slightly. "I ate plenty last night. I'm okay, thank you though."

"You can't still be full from yesterday. Besides, it's not healthy to skip breakfast."

"Trust me," he tries to reason. "I'm fine. I skip meals all the time."

I sigh and motion for him to follow me. "Then eating three meals a day will become your new norm. You can eat with me."

Johnny stiffens up. "Ponyboy, I just met you. We're not really close enough for you to be spending lots of money on me."

"Well, I think, maybe if you let me, we can become friends. " This is apparently the wrong thing to say, because it makes him angry.

"No, you're just a kid who happened to be passing by while I was standing on a bridge." He stands up and grabs his old clothes that I had laid out this morning, and then rushes to the bathroom to change.

I follow him to the door. "Why are you so upset?" I ask through the door.

He doesn't answer, but instead opens the door and pushes the pajamas into my hands. "Thank you for the hospitality and the meal, but I don't need you to be treating me like an extra kid who your brother has to feed and clothe and provide a home for."

He turns and walks swiftly down the stairs and then out the door.

I go after him. "Johnny, wait!"

He turns around, still looking angry. "Please just leave me alone..."

I bite my lip. "Honestly, I'm worried you're gonna turn around and do something stupid." He crosses his arms and stays silent. I shrug and stick my hands in my pockets. "Alright, then I guess I'll just follow you around the entire day to make sure."

Johnny huffs and clenches his fists. "I could promise you I won't, but why would you believe me. You don't know me."

He has a point, and I know it. I just nod and sigh. "Then...I guess this is goodbye."

He looks at me for a second. "Yeah...goodbye." He turns around and begins walking to who knows where.

I frown and go back inside my house, worried out of my mind. What if?