Part 11

Status: rewritten and updated to be less cringe.

"Hey Johnny," I greet him as I walk into the living room. "How long have you been up?"

"A little bit." He shuts off the tv and stretches. "Your brother told me to tell you he had to leave early for work."

I sigh, thinking about how Darry works way too much. "Was he nice to you?"

Johnny nods. "Yeah. He always is."

I sit down next to him and smile, pressing a small, shy kiss to his temple. "I'm glad to see you." 

"Me too," he smiles, one of those soft smiles that meet his eyes that's all too rare. I really like this boy.

Suddenly, the door flies open, and Two-bit and Dally stepp inside. "Hey Curtis brothers!" Two-Bit yells loudly.

Johnny flinches unconsciously at the yelling. Dally notices this. "You're scared of a little yelling?" He snorts and then walks into the kitchen.

Two-bit sighs and looks at Johnny. "Sorry kid. I would tell him to lay off, but Dallas doesn't take kindly to that kind of talk. He would slap me so hard all my teeth would fall out."

He just nods. "I don't want a lot of people to know anyway."

"Why not? Your parents deserve to be--"

"Because they would take me away!" Johnny snaps. "This town is all I've ever known. I can't leave...I can't leave Ponyboy..."

I laugh, for once thankful of his temper. Two-bit puts his hands up in surrender. "Alright, take it easy lover boy." He laughs at his own joke, and then trots into the kitchen.

"You don't wanna leave me?" I tease, elbowing him playfully.

He pushes me away and crosses his arms. "Keep that up and maybe I will." He looks away, but I can still see his smile.

I laugh again. "You want some breakfast? We can go down to the cafe."

He smiles, lightly. "Yeah. I'd like that."

"But first, you need a shower. You smell."

"Because you smell so much better." He sticks out his tongue.

I stand and pull him up as well, tugging him into the bathroom. I get out a towel and a washcloth and set them on top of the toilet. I turn around and let him get undressed and in the shower before I take his clothes to the washer.

Soda is already in the laundry room getting his clothes when I come in. "Hey, how's Johnny?"

"Getting better." I smile.

"That's good." He tugs on a pair of jeans. "I'm about to go to work, so I'll see y'all later..." he looks at me. "I assume Johnny will be over?"

"Maybe." I say and put his clothes in the washer.

"I figured." He ruffles my hair. "I gotta go, see you later tonight."

I sigh and walk back upstairs. Once I hear the water turn off, I knock on the bathroom door. "Come in." Johnny calls, voice muffled through the door.

I push open the door and blush at the sight of Johnny with a towel around his waist. I can tell that he is a bit embarrassed, so I do my best to avert my gaze. "You can throw on some of my sweatpants or something until your clothes are done."

He nods and goes into my room. I smile, watching him, and then get undressed, hopping into the shower myself.

-

It's almost noon by the time his clothes are done and we're ready, but he doesn't seem to mind too much. I have to fight the urge to hold his hand on the way to the cafe. 

"Can I still eat lunch with you at school tomorrow?" He asks nervously.

"Of course." I grin.

He laughs softly and sighs. "I'm really glad to have met you. You make me feel special."

"I want to treat you like you're the most special person in the world, and to me, you are." I lean across the table, asking for a kiss.

He smiles lightly and leans over as well, pressing his lips against mine. It's a quick kiss, but I love it nonetheless.

"How do you think your friends would react if they found out we were...kissing and stuff?" He asks.

I think about it for a few seconds, before shrugging. "I don't know. They probably wouldn't be too surprised. We're practically attached at the hip."

"I guess I should give you more space."

"That's not what I meant," I assure. "Not at all what I meant. Johnny," I grab his hand. "I like spending time with you. I'm gonna hate it tomorrow having to wait until lunch to see you."

"Yeah, I will too..." 

"Don't worry about bothering me Johnny. There's no way you could. You're my boy." As soon I say it I regret it. Johnny's eyes widen and he takes his hand away from mine. I don't know what to do. I can't take it back. It's too soon to call him that, I know, but I didn't mean to. It just slipped out.

He shakily stands up. "I gotta go." he mumbles and then rushes out the door.