There's Some Things You Don't Even Know You Know

Gerson was fine with a day off. He encouraged it, in fact. Sans was basically pushed out of the shop when he tried to explain more.

Walking through waterfall, he relaxed even more. The soft sound of the rain was calming. The music box wasn't playing, Chara knew the song by memory. Sans didn't mind, though. It was nice to have the quiet.

Well, mostly quiet. Chara still talked a lot. They asked a lot of questions, then told what they imagined to be true about the subject. Sans had given up trying to be a part of their conversations. He just listened. Some of their thoughts were pretty off the wall.

Sans listened to the constant jabber of opinions and reasons as he walked. He paused when he got the the room with the bridge flowers. Monster Kid was at the bench.

Sans headed for the hidden room. He hadn't talked to the poor kid since the first timeline. Just like last time, the child was staring at the water with his shoulders down.

"well, i feel robbed now." Sans repeated his previous words. This time with a slight smile. Monster Kid jumped a little.

"Oh, um.. sorry." He gave his fake smile.

"it's cool." Sans sat without asking. "what brings you to the best napping spot in the whole Underground?"

Monster Kid looked at the water. "I was just taking a break." He was trying very hard to hide his pain, but he was very bad at it.

"He's really bad at this." Chara laughed. Sans was ticked off at their attitude. They had tried to kill the kid, and now he was tormented by it, and they laughed.

Sans forced himself to stay calm. Yelling at Chara was not his priority. He sighed and set his head back against the bench, sliding down to a slouch.

"you look like you got some serious shit on your mind." Monster Kid flinched. It took Sans a second to realize he had said shit in front of a child. "uh, sorry. i meant you look kinda sad."

The kid tried a bigger smile. "I'm fine."

"liar." Sans called the kid out bluntly. "it's been less than a week since the human came through. no one's really fine." He quickly added to throw off any suspicion the kid might have had.

The child frowned. "You seem to be doing fine." He sounded almost spiteful.

Sans wondered at that. He hadn't realized it till now, but he really wasn't doing as bad as the others. He had had time, that was for sure, but he felt like it was more. Every time he woke up, he went straight to training. No matter how many times he died, he was always going back. He was determined.

That thought sent a shiver down Sans' spine. He had known he was determined to live, that was the reason he couldn't die. The fact he had found something else to be determined about disturbed him.

Yet he felt better than he had at the beginning. He had started to accept the way things were. He knew it wouldn't be long before he got better than Gerson and things got boring, but for now he was okay.

He wondered if he could find save points like Chara and Frisk had. That would help him wih the dullness of resets. Maybe he could get one after he became head of the Royal Guard. He might even make it to the surface. It was still a long way off, but with all the time he had, he could pace himself. He had to train the other members of the Royal Guard before he could get that far.

"Whatever." The kid sighed. "I'm glad you're doing okay at least."

Sans had forgotten he was in a conversation. "you, uh..." How could he do this? "you were that kid who kept sneaking here to see Undyne, weren't you?"