Let's Get Serious

"SANS I DID IT!" Papyrus screamed, flinging the bedroom door open. Sans flew out of bed in a flurry of blankets. He landed on the floor with a thud. Papyrus hardly noticed. "I'M FINALLY GOING TO BE POPULAR!!!"

Being awoken like this was always annoying. Sans swore revenge, but for now, Papyrus seemed to have big news.

"what?" Sans' voice dripped with the after effects of sleep. "wait, you got into the Royal Guard?" He sat up a little straighter. He vaguely remembered Papyrus leaving last night to beg Undyne to let him join.

"Well," Papyrus hummed a single note of contemplation. "No." He conceded. "But I am closer!" Sans just stared in drowsy confusion. "Undyne is giving me private training lessons!"

"Oh, gee Paps, that's great." Sans glanced over at his dresser. It was a good focus point when things got awkward.

"Sans, you don't seem very pleased." Looks like it was Papyrus's turn to be annoyed.

"no, i am. trust me, that's a really great gig. it's just that..." His voice trailed off as he looked for the right words.

"Just what?" One look at Papyrus was enough to make him think really hard about what he was trying to say. He had ruined the moment with his needless worry. Fuck.

"well," he gave a light chuckle and grinned wider. "Undyne's pretty bossy. ya know, she's my boss. and sometimes she can get out of hand, so you gotta work really hard to get good at this. otherwise she'll pummel you."

He felt guilty for not being up front. Undyne was a mess. She never seemed to know when she was being too rough. She also wasn't normally one to take small steps. Usually, either you were in, or out. 'Training' seemed like a lame excuse to get someone off her back.

"That's it? Sans, I can take care of myself." Papyrus sounded irked. Oops.

"i know, but hey, i worry about ya." Sans shrugged. "it's my job."

Papyrus sighed and relaxed a little. "Since when have you worried about doing your job?" Back to playful. Thank god. Sans hated the tense atmosphere.

"Hey, aren't you supposed to encourage me? If you're gonna be snappy about it, i'll go back to bed." Sans rolled over as if to sleep. He knew that wasn't happening any time soon.

"Back to... SANS, IT'S NOON!! YOUR SHIFT STARTED FOUR HOURS AGO!" Papyrus screamed as he picked Sans up and dragged the laughing bag of bones out of the house. "GET GOING!"

Sans was lying on his back in the snow. "yes sir, mr. almost royal guardsman, sir." He outstretched his arm and stuck his thumb straight up in the air. The look of pride on his brother's face well worth being dragged down the flight of stairs.

Next stop was Undyne's house. It was a good thing he knew a shortcut. He knocked at the door and jumped slightly when he heard something shatter inside.

"Frick. Someone's at the door...." There was quiet mutters, but Sans couldn't make out what the other monster was saying. "No, yeah. Hide in my bedroom for now...... Okay." The door flung open. "Sans?!?" Undyne seemed absolutely shocked to see Sans at her door.

"sup, Undyne. sorry, i didn't think you'd have guests..." He trailed off when he saw schematics on the table.

Undyne quickly hid them. Sans took that as an invite in the house. "I was just working. Alone. On a project." She was way too defensive if that was the case.

"what kind of project?" Sans asked trying to get a good look at the papers in her hands.

"Hey! Back off, we got it!" She pushed him away hard enough to make him catch himself for balance.

We. Interesting.

"anyways, Papyrus woke me up with some pretty interesting news." He shoved the other matter aside and plowed into his reason for coming.

"Weren't you supposed to go to work today?" She crossed her arms.

Sans decided it was best to ignore her. He was going to say what he came to say. "apparently you're gonna train him to be able to join the Royal Guard?"

She visibly flinched. Her gills flicking in agitation. Sans made sure to give her one of his famous stares to keep her on defense. So long as she didn't fight back much, he wouldn't feel too bad about accusing her.

"Yeah! I mean, he spent the night on my porch! A guy like that has to have enough guts for the Royal Guard!" She wasn't making eye contact.

"look. Royal Guard aside, my bro is pretty... simple minded. unlike you, he isn't the type to 'beat bad guys' ass'." She had used that phrase all too often.

Sans had never really liked her stand on fighting. She was always spoiling, and he was only too aware it would end up being her downfall if she wasn't careful.

"So you're saying Papyrus isn't capable?" She crossed her arms. She was starting to fight back.

"no. i'm not. my brother isn't perfect. heh. trust me, i know. but he isn't a coward either." Undyne opened her mouth to talk. Sans took a step towards her and continued. "i think the hot headed mutts of the Snowdin Royal Guard could use someone as strategic and level headed as him."

"I.." Undyne tried to interject, but Sans continued.

"but here's the thing. for someone like you, to give someone like him a deal like that... it just doesn't sit right with me." Oh god the look on her face. She was speechless. "but hey." Sans took a deep breath, finally calming down. "i'm sure the leader of the Royal Guard wouldn't stoop so low as to raise someone's hopes knowing they'll never be fulfilled, right?"

Undyne was dead silent. Her mouth half open. Sans knew he would regret this later, but right now, he only felt the urge to keep his brother from getting let down. Man, work was going to be tense the next few weeks...

Finally, Undyne collected her thoughts. "I wouldn't waste my time training someone if I wasn't planning on letting them into the Royal Guard." She still wouldn't look him in the eye.

"glad to hear it." Sans backed towards the door. He was done here. "now, uh.. i gotta go clock in."

As he left, he heard Undyne say to her companion, "Maybe we can make the sword three times my size, instead?!?"