You're Nothing but a Dirty Brother Killer Now

The ceiling was permanently ingrained in Sans' mind at this point. He had woken up to it innumerable times by now. He sat up and looked around the room.

"You're in a rut." Chara knew all about it. He could recall all the times they had simply walked out of the Last Corridor to take a break. "You should take a vacation for today."

Sans had to admit a break sounded great. Between all the deaths and his constant use of his eye magic, he was getting sick of the repetition. Even a battle with Flowey was preferable over the sparing right now.

"yeah. i think i wanna go home today." He missed his home so much. It seemed as if every time he died, he thought about it more and more.

"You'll come back though, right?" They sounded worried.

Sans thought for a while. "yeah." Even if he didn't want to, Gerson was waiting for him, and the rest of the Royal Guard needed a leader.

He still wasn't sure about being leader, but he had accepted the position. Gerson was trustworthy, and if he thought Sans was the monster for the job, Sans had decided he would do his best not to let his mentor down.

Asgore walked in and slumped into the bed. It was funny, Sans usually didn't let him get this far. Asgore immediately looked curious about Sans' expression. That was normal.

Sans knew he was very different from what he had been when he started the loop. Maybe it was time, or something more basic. The point was, he had changed.

"so how's the king?" Sans tried to break the silence.

"The kingdom is falling to peices." Asgore sighed. "And at it's head, I'll be the first to go."

"you'll find a way to survive." Asgore looked even more surprised. Sans was somewhat surprised at himself. "you're a good king. people might be stressed, but i know they'll follow you."

"Uh.. Y-yeah.." Asgore muttered. He sat with a gaping mouth.

"besides, i'll be right beside you when we leave the Underground." Sans assured. He gave a small smile to assure Asgore.

"Sans, what's wrong with you?" Asgore finally pointed it out.

Sans just looked at his blankets and sighed. "i'm not sure."

Asgore searched Sans for something. Sans could feel the goats eyes bore into him more and more. "Okay. If you need anything, just ask, okay?"

Sans nodded. He had hoped to stay in bed for a while longer, but he felt he should leave before Asgore asked more questions.

He stopped in Hotland to relax. He had nowhere to go, so he figured it would be nice to visit his old stations. This was where he had put twenty-nine hot dogs on Frisk's head all those timelines ago.

He sat behind the counter. "hey, Frisk is in me too, right?" Sans asked as he looked at his old stores of condiments.

"Well, yeah, they're here." Chara seemed surprised at the question. "The other six souls are, too."

"can I talk to Frisk?" Sans hadn't thought about it. He had basically blew Frisk off after all she had done in this. He missed her, though.

Chara snirked. "I suppose I can let you hear them."

Sans immediately regretted it. "Help me!" "Save us!" "I'm sorry!" "Don't trust Chara!" "Don't use us!" "It hurts!" "Stop Chara!"

Every voice crashed together in his head like a cacophony of distress. It overwhelmed him. He immediately put his hands up to his ears despite not having any. It wouldn't help against an assult from the inside like this, anyways.

"Chara! s-stop!" Sans yelled through the voices. He was on his knees on the ground, holding his head. The voices had been so loud.

Chara was all that was left. Laughing, they said, "Hey, you asked for it."

Sans stood up a little wobbly and sat back in his stool inside the station. "i wanted to talk to Frisk. only Frisk."

"Oh! Well yeah, that's easy!" Chara pipped.

"S-sans?" Sans stood up when he heard the same voice use a softer tone. The two sounded almost identical.

"Frisk." He looked for words to say. He realized he didn't know how he felt about Frisk. It had been so long, and they had done so many bad things. What was he trying to say to them now?

"Sans, I... I'm s-so sorry." Frisk stuttered ever so slightly. "This is a-all my fault, I'm sorry."

Sans suddenly felt very mad at them. Mad and betrayed. They had killed Papyrus. They had been the one in control at the beginning of the last run. They had promised him they would let the last run be happy, but now it was a mess.

"how are you doing, Frisk?" He felt sour about his anger, but it was bugging him a lot. He felt he should make small talk, but in reality he hated Frisk for their part in this.

"As well as I deserve." They answered after a long pause. "I'm sorry about Papyrus."

"really?" His voice dripped with sarcastic rage. He forgot who they were. To him, they were just a dirty brother killer. "so you don't feel bad when you're the one killing him, but now that someone else is involved, you feel the need to apologize?"

There was silence for a long time. "Yes. I'm so sorry. I... I never meant for this to happen."

But it had happened. He was stuck in this world without his brother. The only monster he had ever wanted to protect was gone. Why had he thought talking to Frisk had been a good idea?

"Sans, I know you hate me, but please listen." He leaned back in his stool, still trying to get over the betrayal. "Chara is not your frie...."

"I think that's enough of a chat for now." Chara interrupted. "If you wanna talk more, it'll cost you."

Sans didn't like how quickly Chara had cut Frisk off. 'Chara is not your friend.' Why would Frisk wanna tell him something he already knew? He hated Chara.

Whatever. It didn't matter. He had one goal today, and that was to finally make it to his home. He could go as slowly as he wanted. After all, he was taking a break, right? He decided to forget about Frisk and move on.