No One Thinks About the Little Guys

Sans was normally disoriented when he woke up. Especially recently when he would be crying, or have a hangover, or both. Usually both. This time, there was a whole new wave of confusion. Mainly because Sans had never been here before. He sat up slowly and looked around the room. He was in the bed farthest from the door. There was one other bed along the opposite wall. By his deduction, the room had belonged to two kids. 

Sans took a second to debate whether to get out of the bed and look around or not, but in the end, he decided he didn't care quite that much. He lay back down to go back to sleep.

Was the barrier broken?

Sans suddenly remembered what had happened before he passed out. He sat up straight and looked at his hands and arms. He lifted his shirt to check his ribs, too. Whatever he had been looking for, he hadn't found it. Just bones. He was still nervous.

He pulled out his soul. It hurt a little, but he really didn't give a shit about pain at this point. It was still white, but a different type of white. Where the light hit off of it, it gave the faintest shade of a rainbow. Sans stared at it in absolute awe. No matter what kind of soul he had seen, this took the cake. Well, no. Chara's effect on Frisk's soul was pretty damn cool, too.

Despite the power he had felt last night, he couldn't feel anything now. He wondered if he had used up all his power, but decided that was unlikely. Maybe it had to recharge or something.

Asgore was standing just inside the door when Sans looked up. How long had he been there? Sans frowned at him, expecting the king to either tell him what he wanted, or leave. The boss monster did neither, opting to sitting on the bed across from Sans instead.

"The monsters are too afraid to leave, now hat the human has come down here and destroyed so many of us." He looked so tired. Sans turned his attention back to the soul in his hand. His soul. This was his soul now.

Looking at one's soul is a lot like looking at your eyes. You know what your eyes look like, what color they are, but it's not something you spend a lot of time on. Some people spend more time on it than others. Sans used to catch Papyrus staring at his soul in pure interest. He had always been so curious about how the soul worked, how it looked, everything. Sans could probably count the times he had looked at his own soul on one hand. 

"Sans, what do I do?" Sans glanced over to see the king hunched over with his head in his hands. "I thought breaking the barrier would solve all my problems, but..." He trailed off.

There was a moment of silence. "i would just give up." Sans finally said as he decided to climb out of bed. It was time to go home and get so drunk he forgot how to think. He paused for a second before he passed Asgore. He really shouldn't leave it at this. "but if you don't wanna do that, why not send an ambassador?"

Sans left without another word. He didn't feel like debating how well that would work, and he didn't wanna tempt Asgore to break his promise and ask him to be said ambassador. He had filled the sense of obligation he had felt, now it was time to go home.

Sans was glad for the elevators. It took him little time to actually get through the CORE and Hotland. Heading to the river, he discovered the river person was still out. Great. Looks like Sans was walking. 

The walk through Waterfall was quiet. The gentle sound of the water put Sans' mind back to sweeter days. Waterfall had always been his favorite place to nap. He knew this great spot with a bench. It was hidden from the main path, and it was nice and comfortable. After some thought, Sans decided to rest there before continuing. He had all the time in the world, he remembered with a bitter laugh. It wasn't as if anyone was waiting for him back at home.