beauty

sunday 22nd october 2017
4.18 pm

---

Lucas waited patiently for Samantha to send the picture of herself.

He wasn't aware that a few miles away, Sam was struggling to pick a picture that she looked decent in. Lucas didn't really care what she looked like, in his eyes, she was already this amazing girl that could make him laugh, make him happy - and that, to him, was all he needed.

After a few minutes of staring at her number, Lucas' phone finally pinged to show a text from Samantha had come through. He smiled before quickly clicking on it and letting his eyes settle on her face.

As cliché as it sounded to the boy, he really could not find his breath. He couldn't find any words to describe the girl he had been talking to for under a week.

She had long, wavy brown hair that seemed to frame her face as if to pronounce it more. Her lips looked soft and dark, making her skin look like it had more colour. Her skin was slightly tanned but it was hard to tell as her face was covered in small freckles. They mostly dotted her nose and under her eyes, they gave her a small child-like look, almost mischievous. As for her eyes, they were a stormy grey and had this almost defiant look in them.

Lucas realised that there was a way to describe her. He decided that Samantha Cook was, indeed, beauty in itself.

Lucas struggled to come up with a mature response that didn't include him gushing over Samantha's ethereal appearance. His thumbs felt numb as he pressed down on each letter on his phone keyboard.

Little did he know that Samantha had been pacing her room during the 4 minuets it took Lucas to process her face. She was beginning to become agitated. No, not agitated at Lucas, but at herself. Why was she getting so worked up about sending two pictures of herself to the mysterious boy paused on her TV screen? She had no idea why Lucas had this odd effect on her but nonetheless, that effect was there.

Suddenly the phone pinged with a response, and Samantha's heart fluttered, lifting up into her throat as she read over the response:

'I was going to try and not gush over your beauty, but it's impossible not to. Samantha Cook, you are truly the most stunning girl I have ever seen.'

No wonder he had an effect on her.