[14]

That day, Phil started to walk home with Dan together. Long after their project was due, long after the point where they had to spend time together. They just started to love each other's company.

But it wasn't quite as interesting to Dan anymore. He loved Phil's company. Absolutely adores it. Listening to My Chemical Romance while just doing homework, as long as Phil was somewhere in the room, was Dan's ideal afternoon.

But every single moment, Phil was bitching and moaning about Matt. It was always Matt doing another thing that Phil didn't like. Maybe it was talking to bad influences. Maybe it was smoking. It was one annoyance after another.

It was like that every single moment Dan and Phil were together. It was Dan and Phil, but Matt was always somewhere in the conversation.

One day, a few weeks later, Dan and Phil were walking to Dan's house and the topic of Matt rolled around once again.

"Today I bet it was Matt's smoking again." Dan thought to himself.

"Today, Matt was... a little off." Phil said, an uneasiness to his voice that Dan had never heard in Phil's voice before.

"What happened?" Dan asked.

"Well, so Matt has been making me feel guilty since I started taking my meds again." Phil said. "He's been getting me to do stuff for him for a while."

"What type of stuff Phil?" Dan asked, concern covering his voice.

"Well, usually it's just small things. An extra kiss here and there, a drag on his cigarette-"

"Phil you've taken a drag on his cigarette!" Dan said, shocked at this news. "That's a dangerous road."

"I know, Dan." Phil said. "But, let me continue. So Matt's been doing that for a while, but it's just been small stuff. But today... and Dan if I tell you this you have to swear not to tell anyone."

"I swear." Dan said.

"Matt wanted me to have sex with him in his car during lunch."

Dan stopped dead in his tracks. "Phil!" Dan exclaimed. "You... you didn't do it? Did you?"

Phil stopped right in front of Dan. "No, of course not."

"Oh, thank God." Dan said, starting to walk again.

"That's not the worst part though." Phil said. "When I refused, which I did many, many times. He got... a little angry."

Dan put his hand on Phil's shoulder to stop him from walking. When Phil stopped, Dan put himself in front of Dan, both hands on Phil's shoulders. There was barely any space between them. It took all of Dan's willpower not to close the gap by connecting his and Phil's lips, holding him close and never letting him go-

Dan shook those thoughts out of his head and focused on Phil's problem right now. "Phil, what did Matt do?"

Phil looked down, slightly ashamed. His eyes filled with tears. Phil tugged up his shirt sleeves, revealing purple bruises, resembling fingerprints around Phil's wrist.

"Oh... Phil..." Dan said, his eyes filling with tears as well.

"That's just the things that show." Phil said, a tear rolling down his pale cheek.

"Oh... Phil..." Dan said, his voice even more sad. "What doesn't show?"

"The way he yelled at me." Phil said. "The awful words he said. They hurt so bad, Dan."

Phil started to cry. Dan wrapped Phil's body in his arms. Dan's arms were wrapped around Phil's neck, Phil's head buried in Dan's neck. Phil immediately wrapped his arms around Dan's torso, holding Dan close. Dan could feel Phil's heartbeat, and the way Phil's body shook as he cried into Dan's shoulder.

They stood that way for what seemed like hours, even if it was only a minute. Everything was just right. Phil didn't want Matt to ever touch him again, because only Dan's hug felt right.

When Phil wasn't crying anymore, they let go, slowly but surely. Once they finally left each other's company, they felt like they were missing something.

"Let's go home, Philly." Dan said.