[6]

Dan and Phil didn't talk for a week. Neither of them said anything, neither of them looked at each other, neither of them even spoke about the piano.

Clarke was a little less rude to Dan, but still not all that great. The words were starting to hit Dan. Harder than before.

Dan and Phil were in science together one day. The teacher was choosing partners for the next project.

"Dan Howell," the teacher said, not looking up from his clipboard, "you will be partnered with Phil Lester."

Dan and Phil both turned abruptly to look at each other, making eye contact. They both were surprised.

"I have to work with Phil!" Dan thought. "I can't believe it! The only kid who knows about my piano! The one with the friend who has to fucking bully me all the time! I have to still be with him. This will be fun."

***

Phil was surprised that he was partnered with Dan. Phil rather liked Dan, thought he was intriguing.

"But what will Clarke think?" Phil thought. "Will Clarke hurt me if I get too close?"

Phil was a bit scared, of Clarke and what could come, but just as much he was looking forward to getting closer to Dan. The future looked cloudy, but somehow Phil felt like everything was going to be alright.

***

The teacher set them off into groups to start the project. Dan met Phil at his desk.

"So..." Dan said, not knowing a good way to kill the awkwardness.

"Let's start the project." Phil said. "So I'm thinking that first we should design a prototype. But first we need to brainstorm ideas."

"Yeah." Dan said. "The class period is almost over though." Dan pointed to the clock.

"That's true." Phil said. "How about we swap numbers and text ideas?"

"No, I can't." Dan said. "My family has a limited number of texts. It's much easier for me to talk via Snapchat. Do you have one?"

"Yeah, of course." Phil said. They added each other as the bell rang.

"Text you later!" Phil said, running out of the classroom.

Dan smiled, but it quickly faded away when he realized that he was.

"Why does he make me so happy?" Dan thought.

***

Phil ran from class, not wanting to be seen with Dan. Not that Phil didn't like to be with Dan, but the possibility of Clarke hurting Phil over this was painfully high.

Phil got to his next class with no interaction from anyone and pulled out his phone. He found Dan's contact and started to type out a quick message.

amazingphil: hey dan

"And thus, a friendship started." Phil thought, a smile spreading across his face.