[11]

*one week later*

It had been one week since Phil started dating Matt. And things couldn't have been going better. They had hung out every day after school, laughing and having fun. Even in the halls sometimes they would lace their fingers together. It hurt Dan so much to see Phil with another boy, but Phil was happier than Dan had ever seen him.

Except for one day. Phil came to school seeming fine, but by lunch his head was hung low and a frown was plastered on his face. He didn't talk to any of his friends, just flashed them a fake smile when they talked to him.

His friends didn't even see it. But Dan did. Dan noticed Phil's sadness and sent him a text.

danisnotonfire: Hey Phil are you doing okay?

There wasn't a response for a while, but when there was it said,

amazingphil: not really

danisnotonfire: What's wrong?

amazingphil: i cant explain.

amazingphil: not over text at least.

danisnotonfire: Do you want to walk to my house afterschool? We can talk.

amazingphil: yeah that sounds good.

Dan and Phil both put their phones away, happy that they would finally be able to see each other after school.

After school, Dan met Phil in the library. And Dan had never seen Phil looking as bad as now.

Phil's eyes were red and watery, sunken in his face. His previously milky skin was still the same color, but now it looked more sick than anything. Phil's head was hung low, his ebony hair swaying in his face. His body was shaking.

"Phil, oh my god!" Dan said, rushing over to the weak Phil.

Phil looked up and smiled a weak, but genuine smile at Dan.

Dan didn't even think about how he was going to approach Phil, without giving away his massive crush. Dan didn't think, he just did. And what he did, was the exact right thing to do.

Dan hugged Phil. Dan wrapped Phil in his arms, Dan's head breathing in Phil's smell. Phil was originally shocked by the sudden impact of Dan's body slamming his, but he quickly welcomed the contact of his friend. Phil's shaking stopped soon after Dan's warmth, ebbing through both of their bodies. Phil wrapped his arms around Dan's body and they stayed like that for longer than either of them could count. It was just so nice for them to be together once again, like they were always supposed to be.

Once they finally parted, Dan asked, "Phil, are you okay?"

"Um... no." Phil said, his gaze shaky.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Dan asked.

"Yeah." Phil said, his body shaking. "But not here. At your house. Please."

"Yeah, yeah, of course." Dan said.

Dan and Phil walked the rest of the way to Dan's house in silence.

When they arrived to Dan's room, Phil sat on Dan's bed with Susan and stroked her soft fur.

"So, Philly, will you tell me what's wrong?" Dan said.

"Um, yeah I guess now." Phil said. He sighed deeply. "So I've been with Matt, you know. And things are well... great. But one time we were hanging out and.... well I had to take my meds. He asked me what they were for, and I told him. The thing is Dan, I have to take meds for depression and anxiety. It's severe depression, severe anxiety."

Dan's face softened. He didn't believe that someone who seemed so perfect, so normal, could be as sad as he must be.

"I have to take these pills to let me have a normal life. And Matt got mad, that those things were wrong with my head. He thinks that because I've been taking these pills, I've been lying to him. And I haven't. I don't want him to think I've been lying to him, Dan.  He didn't want to talk to me, he was about to break up with me! And Dan, I can't have that!"

Dan's eyes were showing all the love he held for Phil, the brown eyes filled with adoration, but the only eyes that Phil couldn't see.

"I begged him to stay with me.... and he said he would if I stopped taking my meds. So I did. Yesterday was fine. But today my whole world came crashing around me." Phil blinked out a tear. "I don't know what to do, Dan."

Dan reached over and put an arm over Phil's shoulder. Dan pulled Phil's head into his chest and held him tight as Phil cried. Dan ignored the butterflies blooming in his stomach, to hold his friend who desperately needed him at this moment.

Phil's phone started to ring.

"Oh, no." Phil said. "It will be my mum. She'll have noticed I didn't take my meds. Oh, god she's going to yell at me."

Dan grabbed Phil's phone out of his pocket. Dan answered the call.

"Hi!" Dan said.

"Oh, hi Dan." Phil's mum said. "Can I talk to Phil?"

"No, he's in the bathroom. But tell me and I'll tell him when he gets out." Dan said.

"Just have him call me back, it's kind of a personal family matter." Phil's mum said.

"Sorry, we're busy. I'm surprised I found the time to even answer this call. Just tell me and I promise to tell Phil." Dan said, glancing at Phil. Phil was smiling back at him.

"Okay, well then tell Phil that he needs to take his meds." Mrs Lester was starting to seem a bit more annoyed.

"I thought he did." Dan lied, glancing at Phil. His smile was growing.

"Well, does he seem sad at all?" Phil's mum said, now more confused than anything.

"Um no. He seems like smiley Phil to me." Dan said.

"Okay, then. My mistake." Phil's mum said. "Goodbye Dan."

"Bye." Dan said, hanging up the phone.

Dan glanced back at Phil.

"Thanks." Phil said.

"No problem." Dan said. "But you have to take your meds. If Matt makes you do something that makes you not happy, then you shouldn't do it."

"I just don't want to lose him." Phil said.

"You won't." Dan said.

"How do you know that?"

"I don't. But you'll figure it out."