Chapter 21

When I close Caleb's apartment door,I regret ever coming back to Chicago.I had this same feeling as soon as I walked through Tobias' door but seeing Calebs sad face when he saw me a moment ago made me realize somethings wrong.There's something I was suppose to come back for other than for Tobias and Christina and Caleb but I can't seem to name what.

     Tobias and I walk side by side back down the narrow concrete side walk toward some large glass buildings.In the sunlight,they sparkle and reflect off the glass sending rays of light into millions of different directions.I have to cover my eyes a little cause one of the beams glares into my eyes.

     When we get to the train tracks the train lights can be seen from a mile away.As the train approaches we begin to job along beside the train and jump sideways into the first train car.I crawl over to the back of the train car and just sit there staring out the door.Tobias comes and sits next to me with his arms crossed in front of him,leaving one of his legs stretched outward and the other bent a little.He leans his head back on the back of the train and turns to me a little.

     "Why did you not tell him about our engagement?" I almost forgot we were engaged.Everything still feels the exact same way it was before.When we were Tobias Eaton and Tris Prior but...... now we are no longer that.We are Tobias and Tris Eaton.

     Instead of lying to him I go on ahead and say how I felt, " I forgot we were even engaged.Everything seems the same as it was before.Just.....us......." He looks away and just stares at the ceiling for a moment.

     "I know....its new to me to." he begins to say," Are you alright?"

     "Yeah....No.....No I'm not." I sits up straighter and looks back at me concerned and asks "Why?"

     "Because..." I begin to say, " I don't seem to know what real anymore.I regret the day I came back to Chicago.I regret seeing my brother again and worst of all.......I regret coming back for you." As soon as the words escape my mouth I begin to sob.Tobias wraps one of his arms around me and holds me tightly as I cry into his shirt.

     "Why?" he says his voice strained.

     "Because.....I think I messed something up.....the way death works."

     "No....you didn't do anything wrong and whatever you did.....you did something great." I pull back and look into his deep blue eyes.Seeing a tear in the corner of his eye makes me instantly think of a raging sea.I remember that was one of my fears in my fear landscape.I can still feel the water entering into my lungs and crushing me from the inside.It was a fear I faced without much difficulty but.....if that rock hadn't of been there when the waves were trying to crush me.I would of died....that's who Tobias is....he's that strong solid rock that keeps me from giving up.He is the reason why I same back and hes the reason why I wont ever give up.

     "I love you......Tobias Eaton." I say slowly pronouncing every word carefully.

     "And I love you..." he says finally " Tris Eaton."