Chapter 71: Something Good, 08

I raise the tone box high into the air, the wind rustling my hair back as the sounds travel through the air. My lashes are dry, but the tear stains on my cheeks are still fresh. I can taste the salt of those tears on my tongue, even though my lips are pressed into a thin line as the zombies obey my command in tearing down Van Ark's base-one of them, anyway.

I feel no joy-no happiness, just anger and sadness and grief and determination. Which, for my enemies, is a terrible thing for me to be all at once.

"W-wow!" Sam laughs. "That's-that's incredible, Five! That's just incredible! How long have we had the power to control zombies? And look at that! She's just getting them to tear down these great chunks and looking like a boss while doing it. Why does no one ever tell me these things?"

I roll my eyes at his comment, my lips twitching the slightest bit in effort to smile.

"It's been a part of the... of the Major's long term plan for quite some time," Janine answers. "After the women of that prison gave us the maps of that area that had been a dead zone on our maps, she began to suspect Van Ark had a base there. Runner Seven and she were working on this zombie control mechanism before-"

"Before Runner Seven scampered?"

"Before she died."

"Right," He says, just as the zombies as push against a certain area of the wall, causing it to tumble down in a pile of rubble and dust. "That makes sense, yeah. If we didn't reveal we could do this, he wouldn't be prepared. Look at that. Whoever Van Ark had working for him-all those soldiers and hired help-no use for them now."

I hum in response, turning my gaze to watch them scampering away like rats. That's what they are-rats, vermin. Disgusting, filthy scum who worked for a man who destroyed the world. Now they run like the cowards they are, away from the small pack of zombies that are wandering nearby. I programmed them to chase them for a good mile or so. They deserve a scare to say the least.

"Was this always the plan?" He asks.

"Head straight on, Five. Keep going. Those zoms need to hear your command tones regularly to keep them on target," Janine commands, her voice cold, mechanical and professional as I start running around the perimeter of the building, leaving my bag of guns there for the moment.

I want to take all the outside walls down, so I use a good seventy percent of the zombies to do that, while the remains thirty percent go inside to destroy what's in that lab. I'll be heading back around, and everyone here has fled besides Van Ark, who's hiding in there like the coward he is, so I don't have to worry about my guns being taken.

Plus I'm sore from that shot Simon fired. Even with the bullet proof vest, it hurts like a bitch, and carrying that bag around wasn't helping. The only thing I have to worry about is control two different sets of zombies while only using one control box.

"What did you just ask me, Yao?" She questions a second later.

"I-uh, I'm not sure I want to disturb you there, Major."

"Don't call me that."

"Yeah, sorry. I just-"

"The plan. Part of this was always planned, yes. Speed up, Five, and change tones 'seven' and 'three' to high."

I nod, quickly doing as told, listening to that strangely satisfying yet equally annoying sound ring out in the air.

"We've been studying the fast zombies since we captured some late last year; Partly to experiment with our drugs, partly because we knew Van Ark could do this control at a distance, and we wanted to do it too. I wanted Runner Three in the field near here because I thought he could..." Her voice trails off. "Well, it doesn't matter. Five, you're doing a more than adequate job."