Chapter 27: Electric Dreams

The murmurs and muttering of my fellow runners block out the sound of our pounding footsteps. All of them are in sync, but their chatter keeps the pattern from being heard. Although I guess their reasoning for talk is valid. It keeps away the nervousness that creeps up on us all.

"This is fun, isn't it?" Simon asks. He catches my gaze and sends me a wink as he keeps his hand wrapped around my wrist. "Hands up for who thinks this is fun."

Many runners all hold up their hands, and Simon raises his own, which forces me to raise mine as well. I simply roll my eyes, thankful that he's happier now than he was two nights ago. At least, he's acting happier.

"Crucial mission, Runner Three," Major De Santa scolds. "No time for high jinx."

He sighs dramatically. "Can't a man enjoy his job?"

"This isn't a walk in the park, Three," Sarah snaps. "Van Ark's base in LinLand Lake is very well defended."

Jaime groans. "Great. It's a suicide mission. Why am I here again?"

"Because I asked you to come, and good boyfriends do what the girlfriends ask," Archie replies with a small pout. "At least, some of the time... most of the time. Well, maybe half of the time."

He shakes his head. "Yeah, I'm an idiot."

"We'll be safe. There are lots and lots of us today. I can see Runner Thirty-two and Runner Seventeen and Runner One-Fifty-six. And there's Runner Seven from Abel and Runner Ninety and-"

"Yep. Gang's all here," Simon interrupts. He raises his noise maker into the air using his free hand. "Everybody make some noise!"

Cheers erupt and noise makers go off, but they only last a few seconds before the Major starts to speak again.

"Save that for the zombies, Three. Company's approaching. Seems Van Ark got wind of our mission; Small group of hostiles coming in from your ten. New Canton group One to engage."

"Copy that, Major," Summer answers. "Group One is engaging."

Simon squeezes my wrist, a silent way of telling me good luck, and I smile gratefully. Then he lets go and starts to run ahead with the New Canton runners. I swallow thickly as gunshots start sounding off, and I send a silent prayer for all the runners out today. I pray that they'll come out of this okay-that they'll come out of this safe and sound.

"Archie, Runner Five, can you hear me?" Sam questions, and Archie nods.

"Is it time?"

"Yep. Van Ark's soldiers are engaged while the crew of runners decoy attack, and the orchard to your left will keep you hidden from the cameras. This is your cue."

"Be careful, Arch," Jaime says, his eyes glinting with concern as Group Two gets ready to split off and go around the soldiers for a sneak attack.

Archie's face suddenly turns serious as she looks at her boyfriend. "I don't need to be careful. I'm clever instead." Then she turns her eyes to me, the seriousness still there in her eyes, but a touch of her special Archie innocence shows through. "Come along, Five. Time for our top secret, hush-hush, ultra important mission. So exciting."

A small smile creeps onto my face as we run through the orchard. The trees are mostly dead and leafless, although there are a few that actually have tiny leaves growing from the long branches. It's not much, but it's just enough to keep us shielded away from watching eyes.