chapter 6

I stare at him for a moment then revert my eyes. I quickly walk past him and sit down in Garret's room.

He doesn't realize we're mates but if he ever touches me he will. Vampires don't smell their mates.. they feel them.

I don't want a mate.. especially someone like Carter. He has a temper and hates my guts. But deep down I know I'm lying to myself. I felt a tiny bond when I first saw him. We just can't be.. werewolves and vampires are compatible. At least that's what I've been told all my life.

I go down stairs and am hit by Carter's scent. It's intoxicating. I sit far from him. I don't want him to know we are mates.

You know, I wonder if wolves weren't matched if they would still love their mates. I mean a wolf can completely hate another wolf but once they're mates they do a complete 180 and are deep in love with each other. Sometimes I feel like it's fake.

I shake my head. I'm sorry Moon Goddess. Please forgive me for thinking like that. When I look up Clinton is looking at me. I immediately drop my eyes.

"Hey, Cicily can we talk in private real quick?"

I nod and walk out with Clinton.
"You found your mate didn't you."

I look at bewildered."How can you tell?"

He laughs. "It's the way you are reacting. My guess it's either Garret or Carter."

Then he gets serious. "Look you can be with a vampire if you want to. It's up to you what you want in life."

I sigh. "I just don't want him to know. As long as we never touch or brush arms he will never know."

Clinton is quiet for moment. "Who is it?"

I nervously look at the floor. "Carter."

Clinton groans. "And you just happen to look like his deceased mate. How is this suppose to work? You no what maybe it's for the best. If the Moon Goddess allowed this to happen, it was meant to be."

I shake my head. "I don't want a mate. Besides it would just be fake to me. I want someone to love me without the mate bond."

Clinton stares at me. "Whoa, I have never heard someone so against the mate bond."

I sigh. "I'm sorry, I just like real love, that comes naturally. Humans are so lucky because that's their life."

Clinton rolls his eyes."Whatever, they don't feel the same deep love wolves do."

I raise my brow. "And how would you know?"

He grins. "I just do. Come on, there's a meeting in 15 minutes."

We walk over to meeting room and sit down. Garret walks in and Carter follows.

Carter sits away from me. I kinda feel hurt but it's for the best.

A few minutes later the leaders from all supernatural walk in.

Garret stands up and begins to talk. "So as you know, the hunters are planning a war against us all. We need to be able to take them out. So my thought is that we create our own little military teams with a mixture of people. Everyone will draw colors. Whatever color you draw it what team you are on."

A bowl is passed around. Noone knows who got what color but tomorrow morning when we split up we will know who has who.

We head out and Clinton takes my hand leading me outside.

"So what color did you end up with Cicily?"

I give him my paper. "It's the green one."

He frowns. "Dangit, I was hoping we would be on the same team."

I laugh. "What? You think you'll be safer with me."

He turns to me with a serious look. "Of course. You kick butt."

..........

The next morning I get up at sunrise with a camping bag to take with me. The plan is to get to the hunters before they get to us.

I go and sit by the bench we are all suppose to meet at. There's a witch and warlock just talking a storm. I see a fairy sitting quietly on the bench. So four of us are here. Where's number five?

I see a dark figure walking out of the forest. I put my hand over my eyes and groan. It's Carter.