17

Vicky West

''Miss,'' I heard someone saying faintly in the distance. I opened my eyes tardily, only to be met with a nurse standing next to me. It was a matter of time, before I realized I had fallen asleep in the chair next to Harry's bed. ''We tried to wake you earlier, but you were sleeping deeply.''

''What time is it?'' I questioned and rubbed into my eyes. I looked around, but she was as a matter of fact the only person whom was present – beside Harry of course. My eyes searched for a clock, but it was nowhere to be found.

''It's 8 AM.'' She said courteously. ''The doctor wants to check Mr. Styles. Could you spend a few minutes in the waiting area, please?''

I nodded with my head and gathered my belongings. Within a few minutes I was outside of the room and back in the hallway. There were more people walking around, and it was busier than the times I arrived here.

I grabbed the hair tie around my wrist, and hastily made a bun. I pushed the loose tendrils away from my vision and walked over to the waiting area. I got myself a bottle of water from the vending machine, and drank from it in a rush. I had no idea why I had fallen asleep beside Harry. But the fact that the doctor hadn't woken me up earlier, made me guess if he had come inside at all.

My hands were searching for my phone, but there were no missed calls. Only a text from Ethan he had sent last night.

Ethan: ''Hi gorgeous. Want to grab lunch tomorrow?''

I bit on the inside of my cheeks. Wondering if I wanted to spend my afternoon lunch with Ethan whilst having Harry in the back of my mind.

''Vicky?'' I turned around only to be met with Emma. My phone was still in my right hand, I locked it quickly and put it away in my jacket. ''What are you doing here?'' She asked, but her tone wasn't bitter – something I wasn't used from Emma since the last time we talked.

''Louis asked if I wanted to come by to see if the doctor had more news.'' I lied without any difficulty. Proud of myself how I made my way out of this.

Emma didn't question me. ''Okay.'' She said monotonously.

I put the bottle of water away in my bag. Got my phone again and replied to Ethan's text; telling him I was going to come by the Moulin Rouge soon to talk about something. Obviously, this was going to be a chat about me not feeling what I wanted to feel for him.

I didn't want to hurt Ethan, but pretending that there was a chance between us was entirely unfair for the both of us. I tried so hard to get to the point where I'd be completely sure Ethan was the one I wanted to spend my time with. But that feeling never came around during the time we saw each other occasionally.

When I had put my thoughts aside, I saw how Emma had taken a seat and was searching for a proper magazine whilst going through the pile beside her. I guess she noticed my stare when she looked up and eyed at me. I instantaneously knew she was back with her attitude.

''What?'' She scoffed.

''Nothing.'' I spoke forthwith. Her attitude was already showing at this time of the day.

She stopped searching for something to read, and made sure her attention was focused on me. ''I think it's best for us to come to an agreement about you not showing up at the hospital anymore.''

''What?'' I said baffled.

''I said-''

''I heard what you said, I'm not deaf.'' I cut her off easily. ''But why are you saying such thing?''

''Because he's my boyfriend and I'm supposed to take care of him. Be here. Not you.''

I rolled with my eyes. ''I knew you would start an argument if you'd see me here. But guess what, Emma? I'm not going to listen to your demand and I won't go. If I want to be here and see how Harry is doing, I will.'' I stated seriously.