CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

When I finally reached the bottom of the caverns, I was in shock. Rocket was being tossed around by one of Ego's light tentacles, Yondu was screaming out in pain as one pinned him to the ground slowly covering him in heavy rocks, and Quill sat on his knees, looking up at glowing skeleton that was slowly turning into Ego in defeat. "I told you I don't want to do this alone." Ego grumbled. One of Ego's light tentacles suddenly burst out of the ground behind Quill and pierced him through his back, penetrating through his chest. Peter cried out in pain as the light lifted him off the ground. "You cannot deny the purpose the universe has bestowed upon you." More lights came up out of the ground and pierced Quill through his neck. His screams went silent and the entire cavern illuminated, as if using Quill as a battery.

     "It doesn't need to be like this, Peter." Ego continued. "Why are you destroying our chance? Stop pretending you aren't what you are. One in billions. Trillions. Even more. What greater meaning can life possibly have to offer?"

     "I don't use my head to fly the arrow, boy!" Yondu called out to Quill. "I use my heart!" The rocks quickly covered Yondu's head, muffling his cries. Quill looked over at Yondu before turning back to Ego. His fists clenched with anger, dirt began to spin around him as his knees gently landed on the ground.

     "You shouldn't have killed my mom, and squished my Walkman." Quill growled.

     "Oh, shit." I quickly flew over to Yondu, taking cover behind the mountain of rocks forming on top of him. BOOM! Quill took off like a rocket off the ground and wrapped his hands around Ego's neck as they soared through the air, killing the light attacking Rocket and Yondu. I quickly began to unearth Yondu, causing him to gasp of air as his head became uncovered.

     "Devora?" Yondu's eyes widened.

     "You alright?" I asked.

     "I told ya to stay on the ship."

     "I was sent back down here... Captain's orders." Yondu sat up through the rubble and smiled before pressing his lips to mine.

     "Ugh, you two seriously need to stop kissing for once." Rocket groaned as he approached us.

     "ROCKET!" I instantly grabbed him and pulled him into a tight hug. "Aw, how's my most favorite furry creature in the entire galaxy?"

     "Alright, alright, let me go!" Rocket pried himself out of my arms and smoothed down his messed up fur. "Jeez, I think I'd rather see you two kissing than go through that again... where's Quill?"

     "Somewhere around here. Where's Groot?"

     "You haven't seen him?"

     "I just got here."

     "Shit. Alright, I'll go check on him." Rocket pressed a button on his chest plate, activating his aero-rig before taking off towards the ore. I helped Yondu to his feet and instantly wrapped my arms around him.

     "I thought I almost lost you."

     "I told ya I'm not goin' anywhere." Yondu smiled. I slowly pulled away and looked up at Yondu. "What's wrong?"

     "I- I called for help."

     "Who'd ya call? The Corps?"

     "I should've."

     "Then who'd ya call?"

     "...Stakar." Yondu fell silent. "I'm sorry I went behind your back and called him, but I thought we needed help."