CHAPTER ELEVEN

YONDU'S POV

     I watched out the window as Kraglin ascended into space. Nyromar's house could be seen all the way from the galaxy as it buned to the ground. I've killed people before, but only when I had to, this was different. I wanted to kill Nyromar... I had to. I looked down at Devora and sighed. Her shredded skin made her look like she was mauled by a wild animal. Chunks of flesh was shredded, missing, or barely hanging on. Her face was bruised, her neck, wrists, and ankles had a dark burn marks, but I wasn't sure why. I wrapped some bandages around her wounds, but it was all I could do until we got to Xandar. I didn't want to remove the knife from her stomach, I was afraid it would be the thing that kills her. She's barely hanging on as it is.

     She was stupid. It should've been me. I should be the one lying in this bed, clinging to life, not her. I should've killed Nyromar sooner. "I am Groot?" (How is she doing?) Groot spoke as he climbed onto the bed, looking up at me.

     "I dunno why she did it." I sighed.

     "I am Groot." (That's not what I asked, but okay.)

     "It should be me in this bed, Twig. Nyromar was aimin' for me, and she shoved me out of the way. I just can't figure out why she did it."

     "I am Groot." (The same reason why you went after her.) Groot held out his hands and small vines came out of his fingers, wrapping around my hand. I watched with curiosity as he dragged my hand across the bed and placed my hand on top of Devora's before releasing me. "I am Groot." (Love.) "I am Groot." (When you love someone, you'll do anything for them.) "I am Groot." (Whether it's saving their lives, or taking a knife, sacrifice is a way someone shows another that they love them.) "I am Groot." (She loves you, and you love her, you both just don't know it, yet.)

     "I really wish I understood what in the hell ya just said, it sounded important."

     "I AM GROOT?" (SERIOUSLY?) "I AM GROOT?" (AFTER ALL THAT, AFTER EVERYTHING I SAID, YOU CAN'T UNDERSTAND ME?) "I AM GROOT! I AM GROOT!" (I'M DONE, I'M SO FREAKING DONE! FIGURE IT OUT ON YOUR OWN!) Groot jumped down from the bed and stormed out of the room. CRASH!

    "Hey!" Rocket yelled. "What the hell was that for?"

     "I AM GROOT!" (I WASTED MY TIME ON A LONG SPEECH, ONLY TO FIND OUT YONDU CAN'T UNDERSTAND A WORD I'M SAYING!)

     "And that's my fault? You didn't need to take it out on me! I was still eating that!"

     "I am Groot." (You need to lay off the food, you're getting fat.)

     "I AM NOT GETTING FAT! IT'S FUR!"

     "Yondu?" I looked down at Devora as she looked up at me with lidded eyes. "What did you do to piss off Groot?" Devora weakly asked.

     "I couldn't understand 'em, guess it pissed 'em off." I chuckled. "How are ya feelin'?"

     "It hurts."

     "I know, but ya just gotta hold on a little bit longer. We're gonna be on Xandar real soon. We're gonna get ya all patched up, alright?"

     "Yondu, no. They'll arrest us as soon as we land."

     "I don't care, I can't let ya just sit here like this. Ya can't-" I gently sighed. "ya can't die on me." Devora gently squeezed my hand before her eyes shut, passing out once again. I slowly lifted her hand and pressed my lips against her knuckles. "I'm not gonna let ya die."