CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Quill, Rocket, Groot, and I whizzed around the caverns briefly, dodging the shots being fired at us by the Sovereign fleet until finally landing on the ground beside Gamora, Mantis, and Drax. "I have rockets on my boots, you know." I informed.

     "Really?" Quill laughed through his . "That would've been good to know before we jumped out of the ship, you're heavy."

     "I am not heavy!" I growled as I slapped his arm.

     "I am Groot." (You're heavier than me.)

     "Of course I'm heavier than you, you're five inches tall!"

     "I am Groot!" (I'm seven inches tall!)

     "You're seriously worried about two inches?"

     "I am Groot." (Every inch counts.) Groot smirked.

     "WHO TAUGHT YOU TO TALK LIKE THAT?"

     "I am Groot." (Rocket.)

     "I DID NOT, YOU LIAR!" Rocket argued.

     "ENOUGH!" Quill intervened. "Groot, don't ever talk like that again." Groot lowered his head in shame. "And Rocket, you need to start watching your mouth around Groot, he's impressionable."

     "I didn't teach him that!"

     "I am Groot." (Did so.)

     "Did not!"

     "I am Groot." (Did so.)

     "DID NOT!"

     "I AM GROOT!" (DID SO!)

     "What are you six?" Quill snapped. "We don't have time for this!"

     "It won't take Ego long to find us." Mantis informed.

     "See? We've already wasted enough time, now let's go!" Rocket and Groot rolled their eyes as Quill turned to me. "Stay safe. If anything happens to you, Yondu will have my ass."

     "No he won't, he doesn't fly that way." I smirked.

     "ENOUGH WITH THE SEX JOKES!"

     "Oh, come on, you set me up for that one."

     "You really did." Rocket agreed.

     "I am Groot." (Yeah, you did.)

     "Whatever." Quill sighed with frustration. "Just don't get killed, okay?" I nodded. "Let's go." Quill, Rocket, and Groot lifted off of the ground and flew off towards the ore.

     "Devora, right?" Gamora asked.

     "Yeah."

     "I'm sorry about what my sister did to you, but like it or not-"

     "She's staying." I finished. "I know."

     "You're okay with it now?"

     "We talked, she's up there protecting Yondu. If Yondu dies because of her, I can't guarantee she will live long enough to escape Ego, but we'll cross that bridge when we get to it." I gently smiled, causing Gamora to smile back at me. Our smiles instantly faded as the ground began to crack and a white light began to illuminate from the ground.

     "Get behind us." Drax ordered as he moved me behind him.

     "Why?"

     "You shouldn't be in the line of fire, you could hurt the baby."