A Little History

Hey guys! Sorry for such a late update! Summer vacation has started, so uploads will be a lot faster. :)

Lost_In_A_Dream's cover to the side!

__________________________

Chapter Four

A Little History

“It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” – André Gide

I was exhausted, yet sleep frustratingly evaded me, refusing to firmly grasp me in its peaceful clutches.

I rolled over on the blue couch, holding the honey-colored blanket closer. There were so many things on my mind. The prophecy, some job I had to do but had no idea what it was exactly, but most annoyingly...having to live with Damen, and being expected to get along.

Sighing and turning to look back up at the colorless ceiling, I decided to get some fresh air. Opening the door of the balcony, I stepped out onto the cold iron ground and leaned on the icy ledge, looking out at the beautiful city.

This city in Atlantis, Essure Cittá, resided on the clamoring Atlantic Ocean. An ocean that seemed as if it were never at rest, except for those rare summer days when you looked out and all you could see was a light blue ocean at peace with itself. However, currently, it was a dark churning liquid mass that seemed to hide its true depths.

The city itself, looked a lot like the city from my vision the night before. There were many towering skyscrapers, but not as many as the other...Unknown City. There were no large advertisements displayed on screens attached to the buildings. The only ones around were on billboards scattered around the city, advertising hovcars, all-in-one sunglasses that let you search the web or talk to someone miles away just by reading your thoughts, or a new gardening soil that made your assortment of plants 'flourish three times as fast.' The whole city ran on renewable sources: water, sun, wind, etc.

I looked out at the distant, yet diversely colored lights still on around the whole city, but that part and the part where my apartment complex was located were two different parts. They were separated by a thick forest, and my home was located right in front of it. This mysterious forest was rumored to contain the most mythical creatures such as fairies, centaurs, minotaurs, pegasi, and so many more. Yet, the forest was so big that they never felt the need to come out very often. When they did, though, they were usually peaceful, seeing as we allowed them their privacy and didn't invade their beautiful homes. Even though they kept to themselves, it was unlikely to go a lifetime and not see them.

The black silhouette of the pegasus against the full moon was enough proof. I stared at its elegant form against the white, round moon. It was beautiful, the way it flapped its wings and shot through the midnight air. The dark pegasus whinnied, seemingly calling someone. My suspicion was proved correct as a smaller, gray pegasus flew out of the trees. They...played together, it seemed, as they kicked at each other and made noises that sounded like laughter. It became obvious that the black one was a male and the gray one was a female...

That awkward moment when a pair of flying horses have a better love life than you, I thought as I sighed. Unfortunately, I was that kind of girl. The kind that couldn't wait to meet some tall, dark, and handsome man and fall in love. Now this stupid job would get in the middle of my fantasies.