Camminare Con Noi

Chapter Fourteen

Camminare Con Noi

"I just know beneath

everything you left

behind, I found a dark

paradise, where you

and I were forever

and you and I were one."

- r.m. drake

Damen and I weren't forced to work at the café anymore, none of us were, considering the whole point of that had been to bring the four of us to agreeable terms. Plus, it had also cut out time from training, and training for the Outside Realm in all areas was of utmost importance, which freaked me out a little. It was starting to weigh down on me that this was real. Damen, Ophelia, Van, and I were The Destined. We had prophecies and the council telling us what to do to help save Atlantis, and although we hadn't been made public yet, in order to delay panic, people were counting on us to save their homes, our homes, and that was terrifying. It was hard not being insecure. I couldn't stop asking why me and because I was trying to be confident in this person I was always set to be, I answered the question for myself. I was smart, had been training since my preteens, had an increased amount of talent, and I knew in my heart that I had more than enough grit. It was still hard convincing myself of all these things being enough to save a whole species.

Damen didn't seem nervous, and even if he was, he would never admit it, not to himself and much less to anyone else. He was at ease with the whole situation, completely confident in his abilities and his role as a hero. Yet, of course he was, he was the son of Mars. I found myself thinking it often, but he was a born warrior, naturally adept to such high pressured situations and convinced he was going to turn out the victor, an ability that was only aided by the fact that he had undergone just as much training as me and his dark past of dealing with his father. My heart was gripped with anger at the mention of a man who could beat a child for reasons that were no one's fault, and that had, in the end, served for a greater good.

Remembering that Damen was the son of Mars always reminded me that I was blessed by Venus. It'd been a few days since I had learned the information and in those few days I had done nothing but trained and analyzed this bit of information, the same question ringing in my ears every time. Why Venus? I understood Mars; I understood the reason for the Roman versions of the gods, but why was I blessed by the goddess of love? Was I supposed to sleep with the enemy or commit vengeful crimes on petty humans that were prettier than me? I snorted at my jab at Venus's character but stopped short when I felt like somebody had poked a needle deep into the back of my neck. Wincing, I felt under my hair for something that might have caused the pain and huffed.

Rolling my eyes, I stalked out of the apartment and onto the balcony and looked up at the sky. Thanks. I kind of did deserve that if I was being honest.

Walking back inside, I passed the one bedroom in the apartment and stopped outside of it, which got me thinking again. Why was there only one bedroom? Working at the café had been a hoax to get Damen and me closer, and the Council could've definitely afforded to give their heroes a two bedroom flat. I really don't think they were trying to get Damen and me closer in any other way. I cringed internally at the thought of a group of sophisticated men and women playing matchmaker before my eyes reached for the heavens again.

Okay, now you're just making me feel bad on purpose.

Of course Venus probably manipulated their minds to offer us a one bedroom flat, most likely to help my vain attempts. Little did she know how adamant Damen was in keeping us from crossing that line. She did get us sleeping in the same room, I had to give her that, even though we did nothing but sleep.