Chapter Four: Dinner Partys Always End in a Bang.

A man stood in the middle of Fin's kitchen staring at him with a baffled expression. He had slanted white eyes that seemed like two shining stars. His silky, straight, medium-length hair is the color of a ravens feathers, and was worn in an uncomplicated style. He was tall and had a boyish build. His pale skin seemed to glow under the kitchens florescent light.

"What are you doing back here?" Fin repeated. He put down the knife he was using to chop delicate pieces of cake and walked from behind the counter to in front of it in a matter of seconds. The man quickly bowed and walked up closer to Fin.

"I'm sorry ma'am, I wanted-." The Marquee began. But Fins snorting giggles interrupted him.

"Ma'am? You from the West or something?" Fin laughed. "I'm Sorry, it's been forever since I laughed or talked to someone other than Balam and Nero. Oh god, Ma'am, I love it!" Fin felt like he was going to die of laughter. "And for one thing, I am no lady." Fin snorted. "Mr. Darién Shade." Fin said.

The Marquee was taken aback, no one had ever laughed at the way he talked before, or called him by his full name, yet this woman seem to know him, and make fun of him in the first minute of meeting him. And what did she mean, she wasn't a lady? She was the most beautiful creature he had ever seen!

"Thanks for the laugh sir, but it's time you went back to your hosts." Fin went behind him and pushed him through the other doors and into the dining room. Where everyone stood up with pure confusion on their faces. Fin pushed him to his chair bowed and turned around and marched straight back into the kitchen. The Marquee stood there aghast, as well as the rest of the table.

The Marquee turned and pointed at the kitchen doors. "I went to give thanks for dinner, and she-i..." The Marquee was at a loss of words. Balam and Nero returned to their seated positions.

"That's our Head of Staff, he's very brash. I apologize." Nero sighed. The Marquee sat down.

"Wait...he?" The Marquee inquired. Nero narrowed his eyes. As he did this Fin broke through the kitchen doors with everyone's plates in his hands.

"Sorry sirs, I didn't have time to prepare this next spell." Fin said politely. He set down the trays in front of each guest. "Enjoy!" He said with a smile and carefully made his way back into the kitchen.

Nero slowly rubbed his temples with his hands. Balam had been able to keep his composer but he could feel it slipping. Balam inhaled and then turned to his startled guests.

"Gentlemen, shall we continue?" Balam asked. The three directed their attention back to Balam and they continued on as planned. Nothing else went arye for the rest of the evening. And when Balam showed them out later that evening, he felt as though it would have gone without a hitch, if the Marquee hadn't snooped.

Balam pulled Darien aside, as the other two walked ahead.

"I hope I will be able to invite you back Lord Darién." Balam said with a bemused expression. "After all, you were a good friend of our Mother's." The Marquee nodded. "But it may not be possible if you are to snoop through our house each time." Balam said seriously. The Marquee looked at him wide eyed.

"I meant no disrespect; I merely wanted to pay the Chef thanks." The Marquee stammered.

"You're a good man Darién, so if I were you, I wouldn't want to be replaced on the council." Balam sighed. The Marquee gave a brief nod and turned to follow his companions. The door shut behind him and he turned to look at the door, when someone in the window above caught his attention. It was the chef, waving at him. Darién didn't know what to think. Darién blinked and the chef was gone.

"So that went well." Balam said to Nero as they walked up the steps.

"Curious thing the Marquee." Nero muttered, glancing up at Fin's room. Balam saw this and nodded.

"Do you think he even remembers Fin?" Balam asked. Nero shrugged.

"My guess would be... no." Nero said.

"We shouldn't have to deal with that again though." Balam said. "But I suppose we're going to have to let him out again. I mean, I'd keep him locked up longer for his little stunt, but he's been on his best behavior don't you think?" Nero nodded.

"He's growing a bit stronger as well. He might be able to handle himself better." Nero said. Balam sighed.

"Perhaps we tell him after we train in the new maids?" Balam asked. "I like a clean house." Nero smiled at this.

"I suppose brother, I suppose."