Chapter Two: Trash in the Streets

Nero sat quietly at the head of the table. Balam was grinning down at all the members who had shown up.

"Friends!" Balam shouted. The room went silent. There were about 50 district members here. It was surprising that no one had started a fight yet, or declared Balam an unfit ruler. Nero was waiting for someone to take a stand against his brother so that he had some form of entertainment today. He wanted to get back to Fin. His baby brother always made him uneasy, Fin's mother had entrusted Fin directly into Nero's care, and even though Balam let Fin do as he pleased, the two still worried obsessively over him. He was the only one of them that reminded them of their Step-mother and proved to be like her more and more as the days went on. They had successfully hidden away the existence of him from the others and even there grandfather for quite some time now.

"We have gathered here today to discuss and create the new rules for a new "town"." Balam said, flatting his palms on the table and staring everyone down. Everyone was quiet. Some looked down and others stared him dead in the face. He smiled toothily at these creatures, the ones who dared make eye contact with him.

"Then let's begin then..." Balam said.

******

Fin walked further today then he had before. He passed by the gated community that he had visited the day before and sighed inwardly. When he got a little more than 10 feet passed the gate he heard a shuffling. He stopped dead in his tracks. The shuffling turned into more of scuffling. Fin turned around slowly. A group of demons were dragging a couple of people out of the gates, while laughing hysterically.

"Thought you'd escape eh?" A demon said, pulling a woman out by her hair. Another demon held a small child and a kitten in its arms. Two men were being dragged out by four more demons. Fins heart went out to the child and the kitten. He quickly scampered to the edge of the gate and snuck inside he set down his backpack in a hidey-hole and snuck carefully to the open part of the gate. He could barely hear the demons talking but when the woman screamed, Fin knew they were killing someone. He took a quick look around the corner. The demons had snapped the head of one of the men clean off, and blood was spraying everywhere. Fin had to act fast. One of demons began to undress the woman and the last man started to try and fight the demons to get to the woman. They jeered at him and the big demon holding the little girl and the kitten turned them slightly away, so she couldn't see. Fin tried to recognize the group they were associated with. A black lion on their backs told Fin they were a pretty large group, but not much of a threat. Fin couldn't help the man or woman, but he could save the girl and kitten. He gathered his strength and power and sent forth an energy blast at one of the nearby houses and when the house exploded, everyone looked up. The demons dropped the woman and ran to the house to see what had happened. Fin darted toward the big demon and kicked him square in the jaw with his heel, dragging the demon down slightly and causing him to fumble the child and kitten. Fin caught the kitten and held it gently. The demon was up in a flash; it's fist cutting through the air with surprising quickness. Fin was able to duck down and with great focus he teleported the kitten to his backpack. He clapped his hands together and when he reopened them, the kitten was gone; he hoped it had made it there safely. He looked up in time for the demons other fist to get him in the eye, and was sent flying backwards. By this time, some of the other demons had returned and saw Fin, and there buddy duking it out. Fin scrambled to get up but his arms were thrust up by two other demons. They pulled him up and held him in place.

"What we got here boys?" The leader of the group said walking forward, the woman in tow. "A lowly dog?" The demon dropped the cigarette it was holding, stepped on it, and walked forward. The demon made eye contact with Fin. "I ain't seen you before, but you look like you got some years on ya..." The demon said quietly. "You can call me Mr. Dior. What's your name boy?"