Chapter Nine: The Start of Something New

Fin was finally healed and ready to leave the house. Nero and Balam had told him over breakfast, and he was all but bursting with excitement to go outside once again. He ran out of his bedroom and down the stairs. Just as he was about to open the door to run outside, Balam stopped him.

Jacklyn stood happily with a backpack on her shoulders and a cell phone in her pocket. She smiled at him.

"You're taking her with you today." Balam said. "And you are not to go very far out." He warned with a hiss. Fin glared at him.

"I thought I was free." He growled at his brother. Balam smiled and pushed Jacklyn at him.

"Free trial run." Balam smirked. Fin grabbed Jacklyn's hand and yanked her out the door. The minute he was outside and felt the sunshine on his face, and the fresh air in his lungs, he rejoiced. Jacklyn smiled.

"I bet this feels great huh?" She laughed.

"Never been better than this." He laughed and flopped onto the ground, rolling in the soft dirt and inhaling the smells of the outside world.

"Let's go!" He shouted jumping to his feet and dragging Jacklyn along the country dirt road away from the dark looming house. He could practically feel the eyes of his brothers glaring into his back.

******

"Ne-Ne! Let's go outside!" Little 5 year old Fin shouted at Nero. The 15 year old stared down at him with a grimace.

"But I don't want to go outside Fin." Nero half-whispered. Fin frowned and started to pout.

"Ask Bal-Bal." Nero snarled. Fin smiled and waddled off to find Balam. Nero watched him go. He sighed and went back to studying. Balam would surly play with him. Besides he had watched Fin all of yesterday and it was Balam's turn.

Fin waddled to the stairs and started to crawl up them. By the time he was six stairs up he was huffing and puffing, but he felt determined to be played with today.

When he did eventually get up the stairs, he took a quick breather then pressed on to find Balam. He didn't understand why his brothers never wanted to go outside. He went to Balam's door and peeked in. Two pairs of feet dangled over the side of his bed.

"Bal-Bal!" He called. No answer. He went over to the big bed, and grabbed the sides and tried to hoist himself up. A female hand grabbed his and pulled him straight up.

"Look Bal, a little snack." She purred and squeezed him, he giggled. Balam grumbled in his sleep and Fin stared up at the beautiful lady that held him.

"Nero must have caught you and given you to me as a gift!" The girl smirked. She waved her hand in front of his face and he began to feel sleepy. Balam rolled over and sleepily and stared at him.

"Want to share my snack?" She giggled and rocked Fin in her arms. Balam jolted upright and the girl dropped him.

"But your my snack." he said easily and smoothly.

"But baby, I'm hungry!" She whined and reached for Fin. Balam grabbed Fin and quickly stood up.

"Sorry babe but you can't have this one." He smiled charmingly. She glared at him.

"Why the hell not?" She spat. Balam gritted his teeth.

"Babe don't be pushy." Balam snarled at her. "This one is mine." Balam said. Fin was starting to wake up again.

The girl sighed and grumpily pouted on his bed.

"Fine, whatever." She sighed.

"Baby cakes, I'll get you a snack, just hold on." Balam sighed in relief and walked from the room taking Fin with him.

"Nero!" Balam snarled at the top of his lungs. Nero's head peeked around the bottom of the stairs. "Take this outside!" Balam said.

"He could have gotten himself killed." Balam said angrily rubbing his face.

"I have the top council woman in office, in my bed, and she was about to tell me what we need to know about the Blair case!" Balam slammed his fist into the banister. Nero grabbed Fin from Balam and scowled at him.

"It's your turn to watch him Bal." Nero snarled.

"I am working to save our asses here Nero!" Balam shouted and stormed down the stairs to the kitchen.

*******

Jacklyn stared at the booming Market Place with a smile, people from all walks of life had gathered here to shop and talk with one another. Jacklyn felt like it was the only place that demons and humans were in the same boat. Well lesser, nicer demons anyways. She watched Fin closely. He was disguised today not as the little boy she knew, but a teenager about her age. He still looked like Fin, but there were no scars or horns, and he looked less tired. Jacklyn liked this look on him, she felt this was how he should look.

"How old are you?" She asked him.

Fin looked over at her and smiled. "I stopped ageing at 23." Fin said with a smile. Jacklyn laughed and waited for him to continue.

"What don't I normally look 22-ish?" He asked with a grin.

"Well today you look 17 and I feel it matches your age better, that's all I'm saying." She giggled. "But come on! How old are you?"

Fin didn't honestly know, he and his brothers had lost track over the years. Balam knew though. Balam loved birthdays.

"We should ask Balam. " Fin said. "Because I don't remember. We do celebrate them every year though." Fin sighed.

"I wonder why he likes Birthdays." Jacklyn asked the sky. Fin pulled her over to a stall selling glass items.

"When you figure that out you should tell me why Nero likes glass stuff." Fin laughed purchasing a little glass dog.

"You really love them don't you?" Jacklyn asked with a sad smile. Fin slowly nodded. "Do you think they really love you?" Jacklyn asked quietly.

"Yes, I have no doubt they love me. Otherwise they would let me do whatever the hell I wanted and laugh when I got hurt." Fin smiled. This made Jacklyn a little happier.

"Oh-OK! That's good to hear Fin!" She laughed and together they continued down the market pointing at weird stuff and buying odd knick-knacks.

They arrived home after dark. They saw Balam pacing in the window of his study. Amelia greeted them at the door.

"The lords have been worried sick." Amelia whispered. "But don't say anything." She laughed to herself. Fin smiled. His brothers must have been a sight.

Nero stood by the edge of the staircase. Fin waved him over, and Nero glided down the stairs.

"Yes?" He asked. Fin pulled out the glass dog and Nero got the eyes of a greedy raven. Before Fin could say anything Nero had grabbed it and charged up the stairs to his room.

"That's the first human thing I've seen that one do." Thalia said appearing next to Jacklyn. She jumped startled by her grandmother's sudden appearance.

"I've been watching them both." She whispered. "They're crafty tykes I tell you." She nodded to herself and waddled back to the kitchen.

"I have leftovers for you two in the kitchen, Jacklyn you need to eat and then get to bed!" Amelia yelled from the kitchen. Fin and Jacklyn smiled at each other and walked into the kitchen with Thalia.

They had a nice cozy dinner, and Fin went to bed happier then ever.