Chapter Ten: The Return of Shade

Darien Shade stood in the council room and stared at his new seat. Balam was violent and didn't provide second chances, and that was not something Darien was going to fuck up. A single fuck-up had cost the Duke of Kale his life. The Duke's name had been Drake Cane, a once close friend of Darien's sister. Darien himself hadn't seen him as a friend, but the man had been good to his sister so he was saddened by his death. He had seen the Duke murdered. Seen how the man had begged pitifully and had tried to get back on Balam's good side. But Balam had simply killed him. He remembered Balam as a kid and shook his head mournfully.

Today the council was meeting to welcome new members. It was at the Brother's household, which made Darien all the more nervous. Darien, even though he was an old member was going up in rank and status. A new guy was taking his old position and he so desperately wanted to trade spots. He remembered the last time he was in the house and smiled. Then frowned when he remembered the last owners of the house.

"What's the matter Shade?" Asked one of his closer companions, Lord Nikon.

"Sir I just don't wish to offend anyone but could I trade to get my spot back?" Darien asked. Lord Nikon scoffed at him and smiled.

"Aw you, such a kidder." Lord Nikon laughed and pulled Darien close.

"Look Shade, I need you in my corner." He said seriously and in a hushed whisper. Darien's hopes dropped.

"Sir, please don't tell me your going up against the Brothers are you? Look where that got Cane." Darien whispered.

Lord Nikon smiled and shook his head. "In due time I will, but for now I must remain on the brothers good side." He slithered away to his seat and Darien felt a sinking feeling in the pit of his stomach. When the meeting began, Darien could all but feel the sweat building behind his forehead.

"Lord Shade." Nero said. He froze. Nero's voice though seldom heard could send any man into a panic. It held an air of misery and cool aloofness. It was almost never anything over a whisper.

"We are having dinner now, are you going to have any?" Nero said raising a brow. Darien nodded and looked towards the kitchen doors. He could see three women fast at work. The new maids most likely, Darien thought. Just when he was about to turn away, the one from before caught his eye. The beautiful creature from last time, he was here. He almost fell out of his chair. For some reason the young man with the long jet black hair who so reminded him of a woman he once knew intrigued him, and calmed his soul.

Careful...His mind screamed as he turned his attention back to where he was. Balam was eyeing him and when Darien faced him, he looked away. Darien had to be on guard at all times or he was going to wind up dead.

******

The dinner party was going great. Fin could tell his brothers were actually having fun at this one and things were starting to get crazy. They had broken into the hard liquors early on and now Fin was on clean up duty. Most of the Lords and Ladies were headed out now and Balam was eagerly showing them to the door complaining that they had to leave so soon.

It was almost five in the morning when Fin got everyone out. The women had woken up at four to help clean up and now were headed back to bed. Fin put his brothers to bed and went to his own room. When he got there, there was a man sleeping on his bed.

"Mr. Shade." Fin scoffed. "How did you get in here?"

Darien felt himself being picked up. He immediately awoke and scrambled to get away, in the process he accidentally knocked over his carrier and he lost his balance and fell to the floor next to them.

"You!" He gasped looking Fin full in the face.

"Mr. Shade." Fin said exasperated. "How did you get in here?" He asked.

Darien stared into the lovely face and seemed to get lost.

"I'm-- I'm sorry is this your room?" He stuttered. Fin nodded. "I'll be getting out of your way then, sorry to have upset you." He said and scrambled to his feet.

"No you're no trouble!" Fin said getting to his feet. "Let me show you to a guest bedroom." He said.

"No... no I'm f-fine." Darien murmured. Fin smiled.

"You sure sir?" He asked keeping a trained eye on this unbalanced gentlemen.

"I'm positive!" Darien said. "May I just say...you are beautiful? Why do you stay here with these....scary people?" Darien said drunkenly. Fin snorted.

"Still think I'm a girl huh?" Fin said escorting Darien to a guest bedroom. It took a few tries but he finally got the man to lie down and go to sleep. Then Fin returned to his own room and closed the door and plopped down on the soft blankets.

Persnicket leapt up onto the bed and curled up next to Fin. He let out a soft meow in his ear. Fin smiled and grabbed the cat and rolled it onto his stomach.

"Hey boy! Haven't heard from you in a while little man. What's up with that?" Fin asked the fuzzy creature and it purred against his chest. Fin closed his eyes and soon he was fast asleep.