Chapter Three: Years later

"You had to take the damned cat didn't you?" Balam sighed as he closed Fins bedroom door. The kitten lay sleeping soundly with its tail pulled by its face on Fins lap.

"Well, you wouldn't let me keep the girl." Fin said looking up at his brother with a smile. Balam had said it jokingly but the look on his face told Fin that with one wrong move he could be in serious trouble. Fins smile flattered and he fell quiet. Nero stood leaning against the bedroom door and Balam sat down at the end of Fin's bed.

"What were you thinking?" Balam asked him quietly. "You could have been killed." Fin remained quiet. "You risked your life for some human girl...and a fucking cat?" Balam looked him in the eyes with pure rage. Fin held the cat protectively now. It woke up a little startled but remained quietly in Fin's arms.

Balam could see how protective he was of the cat, and this made him angrier. Their brother had several injuries and internal bleeding from his little stunt. They had left the girl where they knew other humans were but Fin had held the cat and refused to let it go.

"You know what?" Balam said, trying to lower his anger. "You're grounded, until I say you're not. You are not to leave this house, I will know if you leave, and there will be a serve punishment." Fin only nodded, with a glare and Balam stood and left.

"Come Nero. We have a meeting to get back to." Balam snarled. Nero turned and shook his head, closing the door behind him.

******

It had been fifteen years since Fin had gone outside. He sat by his window staring out into the newly developed cities. The lights once again working and people milling about. The humans who had survived the on slot were now sold as slaves or worked for pennies. They're homes were dingy and tiny, but there was at least some order to the chaos now. Fin felt fragile and helpless. His cat, who he had named Persnicket, sat in his lap and slept contently. Fin got up slowly and set Persnicket down where he was sitting and the cat continued to sleep quietly. Fin left his room and walked slowly around the house. He had tried to leave many times, but was stopped each time. It hurt increasingly more every time he tried. His brother's barrier was just too strong. But Fins own magic was growing steadily as well. Fin walked to the grand staircase that was in the main lobby. He stood at the top of the stairs and looked out mournfully. He was waiting for his brother's arrival. Not five minutes later the two materialized by the front doors. They were holding people in their arms. What appeared to be two older women and a younger woman.

"We bring maids!" Balam yelled to him. Fin raised an eyebrow.

"What I don't clean enough around here?" Fin asked.

"Not nearly." Balam snorted. He walked off with the two women into the guest quarters of the house.

"Please tell me they are hired help?" Fin asked quietly. Nero nodded and Fin breathed a sigh of relief.

"We just couldn't allow them to know where we officially live." Nero said. Fin nodded.

"Well, I'll just head back to my room then." Fin mumbled. Nero nodded and began to bring the other girl to the rooms. Fin began to travel back to his room, only to be stopped by a loud banging on the front door. Fin hid behind the wall. Nero ran quickly to Balam. As soon as they had deposited the girl into the room and locked the doors, the two cleaned themselves off and walked causally to the door. When they opened it there were three demons from the council waiting for them. Balam smiled.

"Come in gentlemen." Balam said.

"Thank you Lord Balam, for inviting us to dinner." Said the first demon stepping into the parlor. He wore a bright red tie with a grey suit. His hair was slicked back and his mustache was curled upward at the ends. The next one wore a blue pin stripe suit with a grey tie that matched the stripes of the suit, and the last one wore a simple white button up with black pants and black vest. His coat hung from his hand like it was on fire. Balam looked up at Fin and jerked his head toward the kitchen. Fin nodded and crouched down, waiting for the right opportunity. Nero escorted the gentlemen to the dining hall and once they're backs were to him, Fin dashed out and down the steps. By the time the men turned around at the noise Fin was on the opposite side of the room where they couldn't see him.

"What was that?" One of them asked.

"Oh nothing Sir Nikon, just the help." Balam said. Fin entered through the servant doors and slunk into the kitchen. He pulled his hair up into a messy bun, but still long strands of it fell behind him and hit his back. He pulled out the base for soup and started it up, then took out the vegetables and noodles to add in later, everything was pre-cooked but just needed to be added together and cooked. Fin then prepared the main entrée and desserts. All in all he would be able to serve everything in 10 minutes, the main course in 25 and dessert in 45 minutes. Nero had luckily told him before they left that people would be over today to discuss business plans and that they needed dinner ready when they arrived home. He'd had time to make up place cards and decorate everything nicely.

******

Balam and Nero sat at the end of the table smiling to themselves. Fin had done an excellent job tonight, almost outdoing himself. Balam sat at the head of the table and Nero sat to his right. Lord Nikon sat to his left and the Duke of Kale on his right. On Nero's left it was the Marquee of Zele.

Balam heard the door to the kitchen open and five trays each labeled by name floated steadily out to their respected spots and the folded up napkins unfolded and settled themselves on their guests lap.

"Oh my! Magical help?" Lord Nikon asked eyeing the kitchen.

"Yes, our Head Chef and Director of Staff, has a bit of magical ability. He's very shy; we probably won't be seeing him." Nero chimed in. The Marquee looked up with a questioning look.

"Very Impressive Sir's." The Duke of Kale mused. "You have a lovely home."

"Thank you, Sir Cane." Balam said, he smiled and looked up at the Duke. "Drake, how is your district coming along?" He asked.

"If I may cut in, I am in need to go to the powder room." The Marquee said quickly before the Duke could start talking.

"Oh I will escort you..." Nero said beginning to stand.

"No, that's quite alright, if you could just tell me the way." The Marquee smiled. Nero pointed to the door hallway.

"Take the first left and it'll be across the hall." Nero said eyeing him. The Marquee nodded and walked to the bathroom.

The Marquee took went to the bathroom quickly, and after he was finished walked quietly to the servants doors to see the illusive chef. The way Lord Balam had spoken of this man had piked his interest. But when he entered the kitchen all he saw was a woman quickly and quietly preparing the next meal. The woman looked up startled. Her long black hair was pulled back from her face, but a few strands had come lose and hung in front of her right eye. She brushed them back and gaped at him.

"What are you doing back here?" She snapped.