Chapter 1: Noii's Legacy

Wham!

"Heads!"

The shout rang across the yard a precious second too late as the football slammed into the back of my head. My books scattered and paper flew in every direction as I crashed face first on the pavement.

I HATE Mondays.

Not only did they signify the end of two, blissful, peaceful days, but it meant having to face the cold, unfriendly school halls. Heartless teenagers, so bored out of their mind that they revel in others pain. Laughing at the cruel differences that set everyone apart. Snickering at the attempted body disposal in the back yard... just kidding. For the most part. But in all honesty, school was filled with classes so long even the teachers want to fall asleep. Scandalous drama, so repetitive it wasn't even shocking anymore.

Yep.

Mondays.

Gotta love 'em.

I pushed myself off of the ground and sat up. Rubbing my forehead, I tried to massage the bruised skin. It was probably imprinted by the pavement.

"Sorry there mate, didn't see ya." The blond bonehead chuckled awkwardly. He jogged over to grab his ball.

Sure you didn't...

"It's okay, I wouldn't expect the player who lost us the provincial football championship to have better aim." I said.

His expression darkened. He crouched down and invaded my personal space.

"Watch it McGlynn. I might accidentally throw it harder next time."

"Come any closer and people will get the wrong idea." I grinned. With a wordless glare he grabbed his ball off the ground and trotted back to his other bonehead buddies. It was always just an "accident". An unfortunate coincidence. It was never on purpose.

Those were the excuses the principal gave, my foster parents gave, and the other students gave. But I know that coincidences don't happen that often. Not all to the same person. Unless I was a bad luck charm, there was no way all of those trips, shoves and missing or vandalized work were just an accident.  I didn't have anyone to talk to about it. Not really. The school administrators just left me with empty promises, and my parents left me with silence.

I wasn't exactly close to my foster parents. They were busy with their own children. In the beginning they had not even tried to get to know me. I could easily describe our relationship as strictly business, no feelings involved. A sob story I know. However, I preferred it that way. It wouldn't hurt as much when they sent me away after they felt they had contributed enough to society and the greater good.

Grabbing my books, I stacked them in my arms and continued on my way. It was fine though, I was one of the fortunate few who was able to spend four precious years with my actual parents before the accident. Some kids had never met their parents, or had been abandoned when they were born.

Pushing the door to the school open with my back I shuffled along the halls before slipping into one of the classes. Ms.Roberts looked up from her book and gave me a wide smile.

"Good morning Joshua."

"G'morning Ms.Roberts." I mumbled before flopping into my seat and releasing the stack of books in my arms to be free on the desk. Glancing up, I saw Ms.Roberts had returned to reading her novel, completely immersed in the story.