Chapter 17

The party for Logan seemed to go on too fast. I sat in the corner the whole party, not being noticed by anyone. There were blue and green balloons and streamers everywhere and a giant banner that read Good Luck. Once in a while I would see him talking with quests or messing around with his friends, actor friends.

Me? I sat in a chair all alone breaking apart the chip I had in my hand until it couldn’t go any further, in result moving to the next one. That’s what I did when I was anxious or sad. I really am not a party person and all these people made me nervous. Every birthday party or family party I attended I was the quiet one that people forgot was even there.

I rested my head on my hand and sighed. This will be the first time Logan will be away from me for 6 months. This 12 year old boy was going off and doing something with his life, what he loved to do. I guess that’s important right? Even though all I wanted was to be around him, especially because of the summer break. I would be alone. It is just something I have to get used to I guess.

“Okay cake time!” yelled Lisa. Her hair blonde and long, I wonder what she would look like when we all get older. Would she still be as pretty? I watched as everyone gathered around Logan. As I tried to wedge myself in between people to get a better look at Logan I received dirty looks, mainly from his actor friends.

It got to a point where I couldn’t take it anymore so I turned on my heels and walked out of the house. I walked along the path outside his house that led to Logan’s mom’s giant garden. In the back of the garden is a little hole in the brush that was like a secret room. Logan and I used to sit in here and just talk.

He barely joins me anymore.

As if he was summoned I heard the gravel crack as footsteps approached the little “room”.

They stopped and then I saw a little head peek through the opening, his brown mop like hair and blue eyes giving away who it was.

“Hey what are you doing in here when there is a party going on?” he asked as he entered and sat next to me. I lowered my head and played with the grass.

“You know I’m not a party person…besides. I don’t want to be there.”

“Why? What’s wrong?” I couldn’t see him one, because the sun was setting and becoming dark and two, I had my head down. But I did sense him shift in his sitting position closer to me.

“I…”

“You what?”

“I don’t want you to go.” I felt a tear run down my face. I wasn’t going to start sobbing in front of him, but I could help but let that one, single tear fall.

Just when I thought he was going to say something to comfort me like he usually does, he started laughing. I shot my head up and glared at him, wiping the tear away.

“What are you laughing at?” I demanded but he just continued to laugh.

“I’m not going anywhere.” He managed to say when he got out. “I'll always be with you. You’re my best friend.” Logan went all serious after he realized how serious I was being.

“6 months Logan? Yeah that’s a long time, half a year!” my face started to heat up and I felt my eyes water over. It was too late, I was going to cry.

“Please don’t cry Aubrey…your too pretty to cry.” I smacked his arm and frowned at him.

“You’re making it worse!” he tried to hold back a giggle but I could tell he really wanted to. “Just go away and let me cry to myself if you don’t want to watch this. Shouldn’t you get back to your party and your friends?”