Royal Mail

I rush into the house from school and walk through the front archway. Our butler Matthew, takes my satchel from me as I walk into the house.

"So what's the news today Matt Matt?" I ask but he shakes his head with a solemn expression on his face.

"Nothing Mr. Shawn, but your father would like to speak with you. He's on the main patio." He says and I give him a curious look.

Did I do something?

My parents usually never call me for anything.

I walk through the mansion's main ballroom and out to the marble patio set out against the lawn. It was a gloomy day I'm the island but still warm, the sun covered by clouds, and just beyond our lawn was a small cliff that lead out to the ocean.

My father leans against the railing, watching my three year old nephew AJ run around the backyard. My mother stands by him, looking at a letter then sees me. She gives a small smile and goes to chase after AJ. I walk up to papa confused.

"Umm, what's going on?" I ask and he looks up from the letter.

"Shawn..." I try to look at the letter but he pulls it to his chest.

"Papa?" I thought he was playing a joke but he gives me a serious look instead.

"Shawn. I'm going to hand you this letter, But I want you to handle it in a mature manner. I know it's going to suck but no running away got it?" He says and I nod. More confused now than before.

I hold the letter and only have to the read the first three sentences before a sick feeling hits the pit of my stomach and I feel like I'm going to throw up.

Dear Grayson Family,
please join us on June 15 for the wedding of
Queen Leilani of Bridgeport
to
King Akia Of Japan.

I drop the letter and papa pulls me into his arms.

"Shawn...You have to remember she's queen of our country first."

He says and gently rubs my back. I felt like I couldn't breathe.
My heart was broken.

The one person who I counted on to see me for who I am, just tossed me aside like I was nothing.

And the loneliness that had finally dissipated, reappears to claim my life for good.