Reputation

"Shawn Grayson under arrest for sexual assault,"

 Jonathan, my eldest brother, repeats the headline from his screen watch and looks at me with his arms crossed as my lawyer and older sister Mia sign papers for my terms of release and posting bail until my court date. 

"I'm innocent. The girl was just in such a state of shock she couldn't talk." I tell them for the 50th time.

 Mama and Papa look at me with faces filled with nothing but disappointment. Pierce yawns and leans against the prison bars separating us. 

"Orange is a great color on you," he snickers. 

"Shut up," I try to get up but trip on the shackles holding my ankles falling back against the wall. I look down at the floor, trying to avoid the angry gray eyes of my eldest siblings. 

"Alright guys, take it easy on him. He was only trying to do the right thing. I'm sure if you were in this situation you would do the same." Mama says and I look up to see her sweet brown eyes meet mine. Papa gently squeezes her arm. 

"How's Darcy?" I ask and their faces soften. 

"Oh, sweetheart..." Mama starts and I already know the fate of my beautiful chocolate lab.

 "He shot her...that son of a bitch molested a poor girl and killed my baby. IT SHOULD BE HIM IN PRISON NOT ME!" I scream at the top of my lungs, feeling the hot anger well up and the tears fall down my cheeks. 

"We're already working to find him," Peter says but it doesn't make me feel any better.

Our security personnel keeps my head down as I fix my sunglasses to face the multiple cameras and news outlets in my face. Papa stands on one side of me with Jonathan on the other as they cover me, my hood drawn up.

It's times like these where it really sucks to born into the richest family in the world.

"Shawn!

 How do you feel about being the only Grayson in history to have a criminal record? 

Have you ruined the Grayson name? 

Why did you attack the girl in the alley." 

Mia stands in front of the reporters, "Shawn will not be personally answering questions at this time because he is still a minor. As the courts will see in the video evidence there has been a misunderstanding. As Graysons we will continue to support or brother. The real culprit in this terrible act will be found and brought to justice. Thank you," Mia bows and takes her leave, following behind us.

I lay down in my room, curled up in a ball on my bed with my headphones in. The full moon shines into the open french windows and I feel a pang of guilt in my heart for leaving Luna waiting.

 I look down at my bed to see a hair from Darcy when we use to snuggle together while I did homework and the tears flow again. 

"Shawnie?"  I hear the twins Luke and Enrique call into the room. 

"Go away!"  I scream at them and they quickly run away.

 Today was also my 16th birthday, but since I spent it in prison I guess everyone forgot. My family had more important matters.

 As always.

 I sigh as I trace my finger against the sheets of my bed.

 "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you,"

 I sing quietly to myself and choke a little on the tears of loneliness. A terrible loneliness that has always found some way of seeping into my life since the day I was born.

 "Happy birthday dear Shawn...happy birthday to me."

 I finish and cry myself to sleep.