The moon and Stars

"I feel like my family doesn't see me. Sometimes I really question whether or not I'm their son." 

I confess while sitting on the balcony railing of the Royal Ai No Shino Palace, right off of the Queen's bedroom. 

Our thirteen-year-old Queen Leilani sits on the floor painting in a pink silk nightgown and white cotton robe. 

My cape flutters behind me in the gentle Pacific breeze as the moonlight cast its light against my superhero uniform. 

She's the Queen but we've been doing this since we were five years old. I would suddenly appear at her balcony when I was bored but she caught me and we've been best friends since. Because I only visit here when there is a full moon I call her Luna because she is my moon and stars.

 And because she has no idea who I am other than a boy in a mask, she named me Eli, which means miracle from above. 

I'm sure if she knew who I really was, she wouldn't be impressed.

 "Oh Eli, I'm sure they don't ignore you on purpose. They're your family," She says while concentrating on her sketch. 

"Sometimes it really doesn't feel that way." I sigh and she puts the portrait to the side. 

Coming over and giving me a tight friendly hug, She smells like coconut milk and lavender, and I bury my head in her soft shoulder.

 "Is that why you come here? Is it one on one attention you seek?" She giggles. 

"No." I lie.

 Yeah, sure I wanted attention.

 But I wanted to see her.

 She's my only close friend. 

She lets go of me and shakes her head, poking my nose.

 "I've known you for nine years now, Eli. I can see right through you," She says and I groan,

 "Oh yeah? Then have you figured out who I really am?" I ask out of curiosity. 

"Hmm..no but whenever I'm in public I always scan the crowds hoping that I'll see you and just know," she admits. 

"I'm closer than you think my Luna," I whisper gently, almost flirting.

 I avoided her at all cost when we were in public and usually retreated to watching her speeches from my screen top while I was working at the family company, Grayson International Enterprises.

 "Will you ever tell me who you really are?"

 She asks with her perfect light brown eyes that were staring into my mask.

 "Tell you what, if you don't figure it out by the time we're sixteen, I'll tell you," I smirk and she groans. 

"Ya! You say that every time!" She pouts and pulls away from me, but I missed her warm embrace. 

"Haha, it's only three years away now though." I reason and she rolls her her eyes. 

"Are you coming to the charity ball?" She asks next. She means the annual royal masquerade ball that every person on the island of Bridgeport was invited to. All the big names showed up, and my family was one of them.

 "Mmm, possibly. But I doubt you'll be able to spot me." I say, looking off at the stars above. 

No one can ever see me at these functions. I'm the middle Grayson. No one cares about the middle guy.

"I bet you I could spot you from a million miles away," She says with a sly smile. 

"You've been saying that for 8 years now sweetheart and you haven't found me once." I gently poke her shoulder and she laughs. I look over at the drawing she had flipped over on the ground. 

"Why do you never want me to see your paintings?" I ask and she walks back to her drawing pulling it close.

 "I'll show them to you the day we spend more than a mere few hours together." She replies and takes the drawing inside while pressing it to her chest.

 "I'll hold you to that," I laugh as I take a step off the balcony and fly into the city below.