Wings

I adjust my tie in the mirror and brush off imaginary wrinkles in the burgundy Tuxedo. 

"You look fine,"  Pierce says as he comes up behind me and ruffles my fluffy black hair a bit.

 "Why does Shawnie get to go to the ball!" Luke whines as he sits on the floor and watches the rest of his brothers prepare. 

"You guys know the ball is thirteen and up," Peter says as he ruffles their hair. There a loud bang coming from down the hall as Peter get's into another fight with his girlfriend. 

"You think Jonathan is going to go?" I ask Peter but he walks away as if he doesn't hear me. 

The resentment builds up again but I force it back down.  

I wasn't going to let my usual everyday life ruin this night. 

This was the night where I would see whether or not Leilani could recognize me in public. 

Then again, I'm practically invisible to everyone so why would she? 

What is she confuses me for someone else and spends the whole night with him instead of me? That would be my worst fear.

My brothers and I walk into the palace separately, and I quietly weave myself into the crowd. I guess you never really know who's standing next to you at these things like a multi-billion dollar company owner, but I still get shoved around anyway.

 By the time I actually made it in, Queen Leilani was already on the dance floor, choosing someone for her first dance. Every year previous, she picked her best friend Aliah, and the two playfully dance across the floor. 

But this year was different. 

She walks across in the most beautiful white and gold dress, clearly meant to outshine all of the other women there. And as always she takes my breath away. 

The entire ballroom falls into a sea of people bowing and curtsying, I quickly join them.

 The music starts from the orchestra and she looks into the crowd, scanning all the faces in a second and quickly brushing past mine.

 I feel my heart drop.

 I knew she wouldn't recognize me. I put my head down in disappointment and sigh.

 The invisible Grayson transfers over to the ballroom too I guess. 

I don't know why I even bothered getting my hopes up. 

I was busy wallowing in my sorrows I didn't notice the glares and stares.

 I should probably just leave now considering she only dances once. 

"Eli?" 

My head snaps up to see my beautiful Luna standing right in front of me, with an outstretched gloved hand. I quickly pull myself out of my depression and take her hand, bowing to the absolute best of my ability and kissing her hand. 

"Luna..." I whisper gently then shut up. As soon as she heard my voice she would know who I was. 

Or would she?

 We walk out together onto the grand ballroom floor and start dancing. Her hands in mine as I gracefully lead her across the dance floor with the moves my mama and papa had taught us at an early age as young socialites. 

She deserved to be the center of attention, and I made sure of it. 

"Eli, you're the first man to dance with the Queen of Bridgeport." She says as we spin together. 

"It's a hell of a lot of pressure to put on one guy Luna." I smile and she does too. 

I'm only 13 and don't really consider myself a man yet.

 "You're so handsome, I thought this entire time your face was covered because you had a scar or something." she giggles and I feel myself blush. 

My vigilante mask was in two parts. One that covered my mouth and the other covered my eyes. 

This ballroom mask only covers my eyes. 

"I honestly thought you didn't recognize me," I say and spin her in a circle. 

"I saw you as soon as you stepped foot in the ballroom. It's like my heart told me it was you. I didn't need to look." She admits and I wanted nothing more than to kiss her right here in the middle of the floor.

 But she was queen and I would probably be shot. 

"Luna, I believe you've made me the happiest kid on the island," I confess and she smiles. 

"Eli, you're a man when I'm in your arms." 

The song ends and I bow again but when I stand up she stands on her tiptoes and kisses my cheek to everyone's surprise.

 And we part ways. 

*Yes, this is the same ball where Peter meets Joseph in JP