Chapter 17

"What do you mean, you were one of us?"

"Like I asked you earlier,because I can smell something familiar on you; where have you been, human?"

"My friends and I have been through these tunnels, but before that, we encountered a lady who had a map from an ancient dig site. It led us to a remote sub dwelling where we discovered other books with detailed drawings and names of all sorts of mythical creatures; including the beetles."

"Not mythical." Replied the creature as it started to stomp around, shaking its head as if in pain.

Ryan continued cautiously, "There was also a smaller dugout with a ... blanket. Only some pages of books were in there, but there were ... only scribbles on ..."

"Does it look like I could draw with these?!"

"Selena??"

The creature hissed loudly and blinked rapidly; stomped around for while longer before settling a little. "Yessss, but I don't like hearing that name. I have transformed now, I can no longer hold a human name."

Ryan was lost for words. "Um, my name is Ryan. What on Mars happened to you?"

"Not what on Mars; what on Earth Happened?"

"Earth? Do you mean the blue planet?"

Selena rolled her head, "That was my home, and it used to have a lot of other colours as well. That was before the alien sea creatures made their first attack, resulting in the destruction of the planet. I was lucky enough to escape. I even enjoyed a long happy life on this planet as one of its founding members. Little did I know the aliens had infected my mother and me with a master virus of true evil, planting the seeds for the next devastation."

Ryan was gobsmacked.

"Look at me! I am nothing; torn between two species, both of which are my offspring. The other creatures of my kind think I am weak. Maybe I am in some respects. When you asked me why I rescued you, the answer is that you too, are my progeny. I can tell that you carry the genetics of my family. But, more than that, I can tell you have vision and hope - Ryan. The other creatures of my kind think I am weak, but they don't have anything of a pinch of my superior knowledge; and I've been doing a lot of thinking. Tell me, Ryan, have you been thinking?? How do you intend to survive?"

"I don't ..."

"This planet is doomed. I suggest you think of a way to escape, and quickly."

"I'll need to get to my friends for help"

From the drop off at the end of the tunnel, a great commotion began. Selena swiftly crawled to the edge and noticed a round silver object confronted by hordes of angry beetles and Leopard Gecko's like herself. Blasts were coming from the large round object, sending bits of beetles everywhere.

"Are they your friends?" she asked briskly.

"I'm not sure, but I know where they might be."

"Might be? Ryan, this is no time for might be." Selena sidled alongside Ryan. "Here, jump on my back." He hesitated. "Do it! It is not safe here. We have to go."

Ryan jumped on and hung on for dear life as the Selena the Leopard Gecko sped through intricate tunnels at lightning speed. "Oh, by the way, you asked how we can communicate like this? I stuck my tongue into a central nerve between your brain and ear. Don't expect your friends to understand; it's permanent, and a one off sharing!"

Ryan was gobsmacked once more.

Victor strapped himself into the seat of the transport jet, assuming that the fastest route to finding Meghan and his team would be to fly into Olympus Mons itself and reach whatever was lurking beneath.

Getting his clearance for launch, he punched in the co-ordinates for his one way trip to hell.

Greg and Carl led the way as they entered back through the tunnels that not so long ago they had been running from a mass of devouring beetles. So far so good.

Fully equipped with a new array of weapons and transport vehicles, they began the search for Ryan.