Chapter 16

Victor was detailing the information from the recent events alongside Arnold Tomlinson to the council members; about the creatures, the lack of contact from Megan and his team, the subversive actions of Leonard, and their estimation of the numbers of the beetles and what to do now.

The decision to immediately invade the offices of the scientific services and detain all personnel was an easy one. The decisions around the increasing ash cloud from the volcano and what to do with the creatures was not going to be answered without debate.

"I for one," said Arnold, "will stand firm with my opinion on opening the Halo Shield. We can't be considering waging an offensive against these creatures without knowing that we won't get chocked unconscious with volcanic smoke in the process!"

The council reluctantly agreed, but then asked Arnold what he was going to do about the creatures. Arnold elaborated on his visionary details of a unified all out assault involving masses of ground troops following the underground tunnels with all the effective technological weapons they could muster. Push back the creatures as close to the heart of the volcano as they could, and then drop a series of megaton bombs into the centre, destroying the creatures and imploding the volcano; seemed simple enough.

"Yes, but what if it doesn't work, Governor Tomlinson?" Asked one of the council members, "Is there a backup plan ... somewhere a percentage of the Mars race can shelter and survive?"

Arnold tried to laugh off the extreme predictions of the council member, but when it came down to it, there was no backup plan.

"If things go bad," interjected Victor.

"Victor," grumbled Arnold, "keep your comments to yourself!"

"No," spoke one of the council members, "let's hear what he has to say."

Victor smiled at Arnold before continuing. "If things go bad, I think we should all fall back to the Southern and Northern regions."

"By everyone, I'm assuming you mean all the inhabitants of the cities of Mars," asked the council member.

"That is correct, counsellor."

"Evacuate Ballistrat City?" Arnold sneered. There will be nowhere to go, minimal facilities, and extreme weather conditions!"

"And yet," responded Victor, "we have thousands of people working in those areas, developing them. The facts are that the colder climates should prove more difficult for the creatures as well, and maybe with some sort of a stronghold and enough weapons, we can take them out easier. The ground will be too hard for them to tunnel underneath."

The council members nodded to each other. "It sounds like a good plan to us."

"But there is no time ..." protested Arnold.

"Nevertheless, Governor, we insist that the fall back plan be initiated. Commander Victor, would you please head up the initiative?"

Victor paused before answering. "I would like to request that this responsibility be diverted to one of the other Commanders."

"Why is that, Commander Victor?"

"Well, my team is still stuck down in the tunnels, and I haven't heard word that they are okay. If they are still alive, they might have vital information about the situation with the creatures. I request that I can reconnaissance with them."

After a quick private discussion amongst the members, they agreed.

Carl had gathered with Amy, Greg, Alice, Becky and Stacey in a nearby hotel room to gain some much needed rest and refreshment while they waited for Victor to let them know what was happening. Carl was sitting in an armchair while he studied the report that Amy had prepared for him. Becky was still sobbing in a corner, thinking of Ryan.

"Becky, I know this probably isn't the best time," started Carl with an empathetic tone, "But Amy uncovered something during her investigation."

Becky looked up at him, slightly confused with her teary eyes. "What investigation?"

"We had a deal with yourself and Ryan to uncover the truth about your real parents." Carl explained in a routine manner. "Amy found your real Father, Becky." He said as he handed her the folder.

Sitting cross legged on the floor, Becky flicked through the pages of the investigation. Parts of what Eva had told her seemed to be true, but it was evident that she should have been able to find her real Father without too much effort. It all should have been properly recorded in the hospital. Becky began to make the obvious conclusions in her head. If Eva had revealed the truth, she would have had to hand Becky back, and it would have been dealt with by the courts as to who would have true custody of her. 

"There is a contact number on the last page," said Carl quietly, "he lives in the south. Not an easy life they say."

Becky felt numb. So many feelings and emotions ran through her body and mind. She wanted to call Eva now and demand the truth. She wanted to jump on a speed craft and meet her real Father; embrace him, and then slap him for leaving her. She wanted to know that Ryan was okay. Alice came to her side and put her arm around her. "What does your heart tell you to do, Becky?" asked Alice. Becky stared at the phone number on the back page. Carl walked over and handed her his phone.

Becky had started to dial a number when the hotel room door opened without warning. Victor stood at the doorway and looked seriously at them all. "It's all out war. Arnold is lowering the Halo shield and mounting the army for an all out ground assault."

"Is he crazy," shouted Greg. "He couldn't have got this approved ..."

"Greg," Victor said as he placed his hand on Greg's shoulder, "It's all been approved by the full council. They plan to drive the creatures back towards Olympus Mons."

"And then what?" asked Greg.

"Then ... he plans to drop a series of Megaton bombs into the volcano."

Stacey was outraged. "Did they even put a seconds thought into what might happen to the planet if they do that? Such a huge explosion could have huge ramifications for the planet. They could destroy Mars itself!"

"They," continued Victor, "feel like they are out of options, and that the existences of the inhabitants of Mars are under immediate threat by the creatures. If it goes bad, then all the inhabitants will be evacuated to the extremities. In our case, that means the South. I know we will have a good chance of defeating them on colder terrain."

Alice put her hand over her mouth, horrified of the options.

"We are out of time. I have to leave you and try to reach Meghan and my team. I'm ... sorry I don't have more positive news."

They all stood silent for a while before Victor bid them farewell. Becky still had the phone in her hand. "Can someone help me find Ryan?" she asked softly.

"What about your Father?" asked Alice.

Becky handed the phone back to Carl. "We are out of time." She sobbed. With his other hand, Carl grabbed her arm and lifted her up to her feet. The others circled around and joined arms. "Let's get your man, Becky. Friends till the end."