Chapter 2

To the far western edge of Ballistrat City, excavation was underway for the foundation of another new high rise dwelling. The man operating the drilling machine looked down at his co-worker waving his arms around frantically to stop. The operator shut the machine down, and started to think how he might work this delay into more overtime.

When the dust settled, they looked down into the large chamber that the drill had uncovered. It was not a natural one. This chamber was a crude ancient dwelling from thousands of years ago. As they peered closer, it looked like it had been very well preserved.

"You better call the foreman, and the press, and the historical society. They're all going to want to know about this."

"So, I still can't understand why you think this is all a waste of time. There are many factors that would motivate us to try and colonize another planet. The moon's path, the lack of land left here, the instability of Olympus Mons ... it just makes sense. But what's more than that, it's the future. Maybe something is out there that will enable us to know where we fit into the universe, and what strategy we need to adopt to ensure the survival of humans." Gregory Bale's intense charismatic blue eyes showed his passion for what he believed in. Ryan was not afraid of a good debate though, even if he was Greg's best friend.

"I can understand your reasons, Greg, but look at what happened to the last missions to the water planet. Surely they could be improving things here instead of trying to make land appear down there?" Ryan took a bite of his hot and sour vegetable taco after his comment.

Greg's green vegetable curry had started to cool down, but he didn't mind. They frequented the restaurant often, and he knew the owner would heat it up when he wanted. "But if we can get the water station setup, we can begin dredging out the water floor and begin building islands, transport our plants, and start building. Who knows," Greg through his arms up in gesture, "Maybe there are underground chambers that we simply drill into and the water drains away?"

"But that will take ages. In the meantime, there is a lot more we can discover on this planet." Ryan tapped his finger on the table.

"Don't you boys ever get tired of debating? You should be enjoying the food ... and our company," chimed in Becky.

"We're just passionate about the future," replied Ryan.

Becky's best friend, Alice Pera, whispered something funny to Becky. Both of them began to laugh as Ryan and Greg let their debate subside; for now. Alice was shorter than Becky, and had short black hair. The four of them had been friends for years now. Alice had met Greg on a double date with Ryan and Becky, and had quickly fallen for Greg's masculine, chiselled body, and thick short dark brown hair.

The restaurant was a single level aboveground building on main. It was popular amongst the city dwellers who didn't want to take a shuttle out to get a meal. There were plenty of tables, and the food was delicious.

"If you ask me, the government is covering up what's really happening on those missions."

Becky rolled her eyes at Alice as the boys started again.

"C'mon Ryan, you can't think that everything the government gets involved in is a conspiracy theory. Despite what you think, some of us in the political arena are determined to ensure the best for the inhabitants of Ballistrat City, and for the inhabitants of Mars."

"I've got nothing against politics, Greg; or politicians for that matter. But why do the military have to keep such a tight lid on everything? There's no freedom to experiment."

Greg considered the question. "Well, maybe experiments can be ... harmful. Whatever the reasons, I assure you I have not come across anyone who speaks of cover ups."