Chapter 11

The guard presence had doubled at the entrance of the Synthetic Services division.

"Our security passes are in order. There's no reason why we can't be allowed in!"

"Orders are orders, sir."

"Whose orders?"

"I'm not at liberty to say. Now would you kindly ..." The guard placed his hand over his earpiece. "Uh huh. Yes sir, I understand. It seems you have been allowed access, you may enter now."

Ryan and Becky looked up at the security cameras and waved to whoever may have been watching them. It was not going to be as secret as they thought. Greg, Alice and Stacey followed closely behind.

Walking through various security doors and corridors, they eventually came to the section of crops that was destroyed by what they now knew to be a giant rainbow scarab beetle. The section was already being cleaned up like nothing secretive or unusual had occurred, enabling preparation for a new planting.

Looking for evidence, they wandered down towards the rear of the underground clearing. Pacing along the extremity of the field, they noticed some mounds of sifted soil, very similar to the way the dirt had been at the black sands after the creatures had exited from below. Stacey moved and got onto her knees. Getting out a small foldaway shovel out of her backpack, she began digging. It didn't take too long before she uncovered a tunnel that would have been a similar size to the beetles. With so many mounds of sifted dirt though, surely more than one creature had been here?

"Can I help you?" asked a voice from behind them.

Stacey turned around to view a man with tousled brown hair and a piercing stare. She got up to her feet as Ryan turned to speak to him. "Leonard, fancy meeting you here ... again."

"Hello, Ryan. I figured you might have come back again. I notice you have brought your friends back; a bit ill-advised from a security standpoint, don't you think?"

"Greg and Becky already have passes. Alison is here under Greg's supervision. And ..."

Leonard looked at Stacey. "And who might this be?"

Stacey moved over to shake Leonard's hand. "I'm Stacey Weaver, an archaeologist."

Leonard didn't shake her hand. "Oh, an archaeologist; and what would you be doing here, Stacey?"

"She's with me," answered Ryan.

Leonard smirked, "But I thought Becky was with you?"

"Don't get smart, Leonard. They are all with me. Besides, we have uncovered some important evidence about what did this."

"On the contrary, Ryan, I would advise you not to get smart with me. You are all trespassing. You have no right to be in this section."

"Hey, relax," spoke Greg. "Aren't you interested in what caused this?"

Leonard smiled at them. "I already know what caused this. Tell me, weren't you all out at the black sands recently? I'm guessing you may have caught a glimpse of what we are dealing with?"

"What do you know, Leonard?"

"I think I will be the one asking the questions. If you don't want me to call security, then you ought to tell me what you've found."

Ryan stepped in closer to Leonard. "I don't believe you, Leonard. I think it was you who let us past the security guards. So how about we come to a compromise; we'll show you ours if you show us yours?"

Leonard faked a smile. "Fine. Follow me."

The group stood in awe of the creature in front of them. Up close they got to see that the details recorded in Selena's journal were very true.