Chapter 19: Looking for Melissa

Why do they do this to me?

Why do women I've kissed would just suddenly freak out and apologize or not talk to me?

Why is Melissa ignoring me?

That day (when we kissed), as I got home, she already left my room, without even talking to me. All her clothes are gone. Where is she staying? She's definitely not staying with her dad.

I borrowed a phone and I try to call Melissa, but she is not answering. What is happening to her? My bike is in her trunk. I need my bike back.

***

Five days have passed, she still is ignoring me. When she would meet my eyes in the hallway, she would just freak out and walk the opposite direction, trying to stay away from me.

Every time she and Anna would talk in the cafeteria and I would go sit with them, she would say that she had to run an errand. I would ask Anna what's wrong and she would just shrug.

The other day, when she had cheer practice, I waited for her for hours, sitting on the bench, just staring at her. If she would catch my glare, she would just look around, pretending that she didn't see me. After her practice, I approached her and she only said, hey, then walked away.

Earlier, this morning, she slipped a note in my locker saying, "Hey, we are not running for student council. P.S. Don't talk to me."

My reaction was like, what? Well, of course, I'm perfectly fine with the not-running-for-student-council part because I don't really like people... but the don't-talk-to-me part, IT IS KILLING ME!

Why is she doing this to me? Do I have awful breath?

I miss her and I'm crying. She really is the one for me, I think. I don't understand my stomach's emotions. It's sad and hungry.

I enter my Spanish class. Rachel sits next to me and says, "Hi."

It's weird because there are no butterflies in my stomach anymore. Seeing her is just like seeing Mrs. Rodriguez, a normal feeling, no hate, no love, just normal.

"Hey," I respond with a cheerful smile.

Rachel leans closer and whispers, "I hear your girlfriend isn't running for president, are you replacing her?"

I look to her direction, "No. I don't even like---"

"Okay," Mrs. Rodriguez starts. "I know I'm supposed to speak Spanish in class, but I'm sick. My brain isn't functioning well. Besides, most of you," she takes a quick glare at me, "won't even understand me if I speak in the language."

I just look around, pretending I didn't hear her.

"So, about your essays," she glares at me again, "most of them were awful, I have to be honest. But some were particularly good," she looks at Rachel quickly. "Anyways," addressing everyone, "I'll return your essays today."

Walking around, Mrs. Rodriguez begins returning our papers. As soon as she stops right next to my seat, she lowers her body and whispers to me, "I need to speak with you after class." Returning my paper, I look at it, an A-minus, not so bad. Melissa must've written it well.

My heart begins to race the moment I realized that I, being bad in Spanish, do not write good Spanish essays. I don't deserve an A-minus, in fact, I have never gotten an A-minus in Spanish. It was always a C or D. I bet Mrs. Rodriquez thinks I didn't write this, which is true, but she can't know!

After an hour, I approach my Spanish teacher, "Is something wrong?"

Standing from her seat, Mrs. Rodriguez makes this weird look on her face, "Your essay..."