Their End

We have arrived. The mansion that we gave her is still well-maintained over all these years. The garden is still fresh. It looks like she pays attention to her garden more than her own daughter.

She opened the door for us and calmly invited us inside. She hasn't said a word ever since we were invited inside.

My father cleared his throat before trying to speak in a gentlemanly-like manner. "How have you been, Esther?"

Anju-san solemnly hang her head. She then started mumbling something under her breath. "Are you going to take away everything I have now?"

Father glanced at me. I know what he's trying to say. He's asking if he will answer that, or I prefer that I will.

"Ms. Esther Anju, the debt has been paid. You don't need to worry anymore, you had done enough for this huge mansion. It's the end." I boldly proclaimed, staring directly at her eyes.

"Oh, are you angry? Is it because I wasn't taking care of my daughter properly?" She smirked. She's scary. It was as if she looked exactly like my father when he knows he has the upper hand. "You have taken an interest with my daughter, haven't you?" She smiled radiantly.

I couldn't say anything. Because I myself don't know the answer. I merely clench my fists and grind my teeth together in frustration. Even with my actions, I'm sure she knows my answer by now. She knows, she really does... she just wanted me to say it.

"You know, I have only been doing what your father told me. My daughter, the one that your father and I had, is special. He wanted Rika to be as smart as his son. I have observed how he raised you, so I did what he had done things to you too. Of course, I was young back then, and Rika was my firstborn, so I didn't know what I was doing."

I unconsciously banged the coffee table in front of us. "That's a pathetic excuse for a pathetic mother! No matter what kind of excuse you say, do you think Anju will forgive you? Do you think Anju will accept your apology like any other apology? You broke her! You're pathetic!"

Anju-san was shocked for a moment. Of course, those insults reached her. She's an adult, so she accepted them all. "That's right. I'm pathetic, aren't I?" She wears the same strained smile as Anju did when I asked her about being called Asano II..

I was slightly taken back by that. She really is her daughter, there's no doubt. But that face... she's regretting it?

"If only I didn't have too much fun, then neither Rika nor myself would've suffered so much..." She muttered.

The two adults are both guilty. They made Anju suffer so much invisible pain. They didn't know just how much Anju endured everything that her mother had forced her. That's why she snapped. She wanted to fail, she did it purposely out of rebellion. You can't blame her, I would too if I was her. But this is me. I wouldn't want to rebel because I have a goal to beat my father. Anju... wasn't interested in that sort of thing. She just did what she wanted. She just did what she needed to be happy.

I still remember the face she made when a freshman called her out. Her eyes sparkled like precious diamonds. Her whole face lit up like she was being covered by the rays of the sunshine. I want to see that face again.

"Well, you can take everything back now if the debt is paid already. Thank you for everything, Gakuhou. Take care of your son more, okay? Also... you don't plan to take her too, do you?"

"What if we do?" Father asked. I was about to do it, but my head is being occupied by happy Anjus everywhere and how I want to see that lovely view again.

"Then, I assume you would take care of her better than I did."

"Good morning."

My eyes opened. The first thing I saw was an orange on my bed. When I reached out for it, it jolted up and stared intently at me. No matter how tough he may seem, his eyes are still red. It's either he cried or he's tired. But of course, the prideful Gakushuu Asano would never cry... or so I think, but I'm not really sure.

"W-w-were you there the whole time?" I asked, obviously surprised.

"Good morning to you too, Anju." He blankly greeted. It doesn't feel like a greeting at all!

"What's with that greeting?! Greet me livelier, idioooottt!" I stick out my tongue to tease him more.

He looked at me with an indifferent expression. He turned away for a second, then turned back to me. "Good morning. What a lovely day we have, right, Rika?" He said, smiling brightly. Even if it was an act, it made me laugh.

"Yeah... You're right, Gakushuu."

~

My name is Rika Anju. I just recently heard about my current situation while I was sleeping in the Principal's office despite not knowing why I even got there in the first place.

My riches all disappeared in a flash. Like a snap for the Asanos. It has been revealed that those riches were in her possession just so my mother could raise me properly until I reached this ripe age.

My mother and Gakushuu's father apparently had an affair, and I was the result. Troubled and confused, my mother demanded Gakuhou to at least pay up his debt until I turn to an age where I could live by myself. Gakuhou, driven by guilt, did exactly as what Esther told him to. He gave her money, and a huge mansion to live in. Esther tried her best to preserve Gakuhou's possession... and also raised her child like Gakuhou raised his son.

He said I should be equal to his son.

Once I rebelled, everything has been messy... In truth, even though her face is blank, she's really anxious about me leaving her side. That's the reason why she got mad when I went with Gakushuu that time... She just didn't want to part with me.

But now... She accepted her lost. She was stripped from all her riches, even her own, and was forced to leave the country to earn, leaving me in the care of the Asano family.

But still, despite everything she has done to me so far, I don't hate her. After all, she's still my mother that kept me healthy and breathing...

~

"Hurry up, Rika. We're going to be late!" Gakushuu offered his hand to me.

"Ah, wait a sec--" I tripped down. How clumsy.

But of course , Gakushuu immediately caught me before I fell. I don't mind being clumsy, if Gakushuu will save me every time I have been so.

"Is it me or are you clumsier after we're going out?"

"It's just you, it's just you." I hummed as I dismissed it.

He smirked, entwining his hands with mine as we run towards the school's direction.

"You're such a terrible liar."