Prologue

"Rika, you're failing." My mother scolded me once again.

I scratched my ears in annoyance. "It's not my fault that I'm failing. Their subjects became harder for me to understand."

"Excuses!" She smacked me with the hard card in her hand. My hard report card. "I told you several times that you need to study every day, every minute, every second of your life inside the house!" I get tired of her loud voice. May it be scolding or asking me to do a simple thing.

I stayed silent. I know that if I dare talk back, she wouldn't shut up.

After nagging and shouting at me, I went straight to my room and slept like usual. All the words that came out of that hag's mouth just went to an ear and immediately left to the other.

"Good news, Rika." My mother said as soon as I got to the kitchen. I don't think I need any good news. If she left to another country and never come back, that's good news. "You have a reliable and efficient private tutor. You'll meet him on Monday."

I took my cup of coffee and looked at the calendar. I don't need a tutor, I don't want one. Maybe I'll just drive him away like what I did to the others before.

"You know Mom, you should stop hiring tutors. I can redeem myself in no time without their help. As my mother, I hope you know at least that much." I calmly stated as I sip my piping hot coffee in the morning.

"Don't worry about that." She giggled and dismissed, which was unusual and weird. It sent chills down my spine. "Your tutor is a student like you. I think he's your classmate. Asano-san (Mr. Asano), was it?"

At that very moment, my coffee cup shattered like my soul.