Aquaris 27

So of course my plan of sleeping for a few days didn't work. I woke up around 10 the next morning with a grumbling stomach.

Oh yeah, and a dogfish stuck to my face... again. What a way to wake up, right? I pried the dogfish off my face and starred at it with my hands on my hips. I continued to stare at it until it's cheerful face slowly turned to a guilty look. Only then did I smile and stoke the thing's head.

"Good boy. See, when you eat my face, I'm not happy. You be a good boy, and we'll both be happy!"

He started flipping his tail back and forth like a fan excitedly. His dog-like features matched with his fish breed is a wonderful combination. Almost like the gift of sweet dogs on my past home on dry earth has come together with my present home underwater with all my friends. I suddenly feel a sentimental attachment to the dogfish.

Remembering I haven't named him, I thought of names that would fit my newly made friend. I tried and tried, but nothing seemed just right for the little rascal. I began debating on something that you would normally find dogs named ashore, or something that fits the rest of my life here underwater. Finally, I made up my mind to put the past behind me and name him something with a mermaid's touch. Something like... Zeleam. That's it! Zeleam!

"That's you buddy. Zeleam. Do you like it?" I asked him. He responded with a strange yapping noise. I didn't know dogfish actually somewhat bark!

"I'm glad you like it! Now, Zeleam, I'm going to go find something to eat, and you stay here and be good. Okay? Okay." I left the now pouting dogfish and swam out of my room to satisfy my stomach. Which was sending out noises like a whale now. I certainly hope no whale gets this confused as a mating call...

Once I had reached the kitchen I grabbed some clams and stuffed my face. What can I say? I was never really one to be neat or ladylike. After I ate enough to stop the whale noises, I made sure I had no clam on my face, then I headed out. To where? I don't know. I just felt like going out and getting some fresh air- err, water. I passed by Axarion on the way out and passed a quick word with him.

"Where ya off to so early?" He asked.

"I think I'll swim out through the streets. Just get out and see some people. I'll be back before noon."

"Alright. Have fun! And see ya later." He smiled as he continued on, down the hall.

"Bye!" I swam out the door and began my peaceful 'me time'.

Admiring the pretty, colorful mer houses yet again, I strolled down the center street. Young mer girls played out in front of one light yellow house. I stopped to watch them. Their giggles and squeals were so cute. How wonderful it would be to live without a care in the world again. To not have to deal with all the many problems the world faces today. What I would do to actually be able to go back to that...

I was so deep in thought, I didn't even notice that the girl had stopped playing, and were now looking at me. A smaller one with a bright yellow tail and a cheerful smile to match it swam up to me with her long brown hair swirling behind her.

"Hello." She said politely. "Aren't you Aquema? The one who is going to save Aquaris?"

Pride swelled up in me knowing these young girls were counting on me, and believed in me. "Yes that is me."

"Woww." One of her friends behind her whispered.

"My name is Alera." The girl with the yellow tail said. "And these are my friends, Garfeen, Bellet, and Meleny." She gestured to each of the girls as she said their name. Garfeen was a petite mer with a pastel green tail, and ginger hair. Bellet was the tallest of the four and had a red and pink swirled tail, and pearly pink, curly hair. Meleny had a dark purple tail and jet black hair with purple streaks on the tips matching her tail. Each and every girl, in their own personal way, are beautiful.