Uchouten Kazoku ♝

Directed by: Masayuki Yoshihara

Genre: Drama, Comedy

Plot:

In modern day Kyoto, humans live in the city, while Tanuki roam the earth and Tengu, the sky. The story surrounds a family of Japanese tanuki, the Shimogamo family. These tanuki have the ability to transform into anything they wish. They can change into normal members of human society or any animate/inanimate object. The third son, Yasaburo, enjoys a bustling daily life. He often visits Akadama-sensei, a tengu. Through him, Yasaburo is acquainted with Benten (Satomi Suzuki) , a woman whom Akadama taught to fly like a tengu. As the story unfolds, the members of the Shimogamo family are still dealing with the foggy past that surrounds their father's untimely death prior to the series start. What more is that Benten is a member of a social group called "the Friday Fellows" who enjoy a meal of tanuki hot pot at the end of the year. So they must balance between living carelessly, maintaining relationships among other tanuki families, and not getting put into a hot pot by the Friday Fellows.

Source: Wikipedia

Anime: Completed

Total Episodes: 13

Review:

Uchouten Kazoku or The Eccentric Family is surprisingly enjoyable. It mainly talks about a family of Tanuki or Racoon Dog. They have the power to transform to anything they wish.

Story: The story follows the Yasaburou Shimogamo, the third son of the family. There's a quick introduction about his hometown, Kyoto. We all know that Kyoto is really historical. They believe on Tengu and others. Just like in Nurarihyon no Mago, Kyoto is describe as home of Yokai. As you watch more episodes of this anime, you will conclude that Shimogamo family once rose at the top of all Tanuki. Their father, Souichirou ruled all Tanuki's in Kyoto until he was caught and was eaten by the Friday Fellows.

Characters: Uchouten Kazoku's characters are mostly from the Shimogamo family. For me, characters in this anime develop well. More characters are revealed as the anime continues. More enemies and more ally. The last episode's ending song, it was shown there the happy moments of the family with the other characters. They eventually solved their problems and were able to make a good relationship with their foes.

Art: I like this anime's art. It was unique and pretty cute. It's art is not as modern as Kamigami no Asobi, but it has it's own cute and presentable style.

Sound: The opening and ending songs are good. Yasaburou's seiyuu, Takahiro Sakurai also voiced some familiar and amazing characters. He voiced Mochizuki Jirou (Black Blood Brothers), Kira Izuru (Bleach), Kururugi Suzaku (Code Geass), Ureu Mono (Devil Survivor 2 The Animation), Kazuya Miyuki (Diamond no Ace), Eucliffe Sting (Fairy Tail), Cloud Strife (Final Fantasy VII), Faustus Claude (Kuroshitsuji), Krusty (Log Horizon), Ja'far (Magi), Agemaki Kei (Otome Yokai Zakuro), and Makishima Shougo (Psycho-Pass).