Chapter Twenty-Nine

Candace Miller

"So." Nick said, after our interview and we just sat on the floor of ICON. "You guys want to come over after this?"

  The others said yeah, nodding their heads.

 "I can't. Dentist appointment." I sighed.

 "Crap. And I have to go with mom to pick her up and stay with her." Madison said.

  "Why? She's thirteen, she can take care of herself." Jason leaned on my shoulder.

 "She's getting her wisdom tooth pulled. She'll be high on laughing gas and everything."

  I laughed. "He's right. But it wears off fast, I can come over later?"

"Spend the night, maybe?" Nick asked.

  "Yeah, sure." I smiled, then Geo walked in.

  "Candace, Mikey." He jerked his head into the other room. What did he discover? The window I broke? No, because he would have called Nick instead of Mikey.

  Mikey shut the door behind me. "What's up Geo?"

 "I need you two to break up. I'm sorry."

  "What?!" I could just barely keep my voice below a yell. I'm sure the boys heard.

"Look, guys, I know. I'm so very sorry. But I feel as if a relationship will just distract you from your dancing, and we can't risk it. I'm sorry and normally I wouldn't intrude but... It has to be done." Geo apologized sincerely once more. I watched as he walked to the door on the opposite wall and left us alone.

  "Do I distract you from dancing?" I asked Mikey.

 "No. Well, I mean... Usually I'm watching you instead of Geo. Do I distract you?" He took my hands in his and held them at our chests.

   "I'm always focused on you. And... maybe Geo's right." I sighed, resting my forehead on his.

 "Yeah..." Mikey sighed. "So this is it?"

  "It's for the best." I muttered. I hated what came next. Like you saw in movies, where the two never talk again and when they do, it's all awkward. I didn't want it to be like that with Mikey and I. I could only hope there was the possibility that we could be together again when ABDC was over and I didn't need to dance with them anymore.

  Mikey gently pressed his lips on mine one last time. and that was it. The end of us.

Mikey walked a little ways behind me, putting some distance between us. When we sat back on the floor, we didn't sit beside each other. Madison noticed.

  "What did Geo want?" Jason asked. He linked his arm with mine.

 I looked at Mikey, a question on my face. Should we tell them?

 He shook his head and answered. "Uh, he wanted to talk about us dating but... we decided it would be best if we just stayed friends."

  "Oh." Was all Jase said.

 It got quiet then. I chewed my bottom lip, staring at my Vlados. Geo saved us from the awkward silence.

  "Guys, about our dance. For the first time, we get to choose our song for ABDC. Chris Brown is the artist of the week. Any suggestions?" He clapped his hands together.

  "Well we all know that JC likes it when the dances tell a story. We could do a kinda love song and play it out like a story." Nick spoke first.

  "I like it. What songs?" Geo asked.

 "I Should've Kissed You?" Louis said.

   "Too slow. What about With You?" I said this time. "And oh, I'm into you. And girl, no one else would do. Cause with every kiss, and every hug, girl you make me fall in love." I sang a few lines.

 "That's kind of slow too. Kiss Kiss." Jason said.

 "Possible. Any others?" Geo leaned against the wall. I glanced at Louis's watch. 3:13. Danielle would be here to pick me and Madison up any minute.

  "Hey, we have to go." I stood up, grabbing Madison's wrist, which slipped and I was holding his hand. I blushed and let go, picking my phone up and putting it in my pocket.

  "I got it!" Madison said suddenly. "Forever!"

 "Good. Now that we have the love song... who are the lovers? Candace obviously." Geo didn't meet my gaze because he knew what I was thinking.

  Mikey and I would have been perfect for this!

 "I say Candace and Nick." Nick suggested excitedly.

  "Candace and Mikey," Jason said.

 "Madison and Candace." Julian grinned at us.

  "Who votes Nick?" Geo asked. Nick and Madison raised their hands.

 "Mikey?" Mikey and Jason raised theirs.

  "Madison?" Thomas, Louis, and Julian. "Madison it is. I think you two are the perfect pair. Plus, we need someone who's tall enough to look over her head. Madison is the only one who can actually do what we need to use my idea."

  "What's your idea?" Thomas asked.

 "We-" Geo was cut off by a car horn. Through the glass doors I saw it was Danielle's black Mustang.

 Geo sighed. "I'll explain tomorrow. Bye guys!"

 Madison and I got in the car, pondering over what Geo's idea could be. I still couldn't believe I was partnered with him to a love song.

  "How was dance?" Danielle asked, pulling out of the parking lot.

 "Good." I said shortly.

  "Learn anything about the show?"

 "Nothing except that we're dancing to Forever by Chris Brown." Madison looked out the window.

 "Oh, that's nice. Kind of a love song, though."

  "Mikey and I broke up." I said, and changed the radio station.

 "Why?"

  "It's better that we're friends. Just friends."

 "Any other big events happen?"

  "Oh yeah, Candace and I are paired up to do the love song together." Madison said it like it was no big deal. It was.

  "What?" Danielle said incredulously.