Chapter Eight

Candace Miller

I don't know when we fell asleep, because I don't remember. The sun shone in through the window, illuminating the room in it's soft, warm glow. It was comforting.

  Mikey was pressed against my back, his arms around my waist. I didn't dwell on it, afraid my heart would start pounding again and this time I'd have a heart attack for sure. But it wasn't something you could ignore, with his cheek against my neck and his slow breathing tickling my skin. I could smell his cologne, which was another comforting thing to me.

   I didn't know where the other boys were, but they weren't in the room. I groaned softly and tried to turn over.

  "What's up?" Mikey mumbled as I managed to face him. I had just barely woken him up.

  "Nothing," I whispered. He pulled me closer to him, flush up against his body, and rested his forehead on my own.

  Now here's a question I needed to ask myself; Why the hell did I want to kiss him?

  I was only thirteen. Thirteen. But here he was, in my bed, arms around me, right against my body, forehead on mine, lips only an inch away. With a simple move of my head, I could have easily kissed him.

  Mikey sighed in his sleep, smiling a little. I decided to close my eyes, too, and sleep for a little while longer. For just this moment, I wasn't so upset about all the things happening to my family. I was in Mikey's arms, where I felt happiest, where I felt safest.

***

My phone woke me up the second time, vibrating against the wood of my bedside table. I didn't look to see who it was, I just wanted the noise to stop before it woke Mikey up.

  Too late.

 I sat up in the bed, Mikey sitting up with me, one arm never leaving my waist.

 "Hello?" I cleared my throat. The five boys were at the end of my bed, watching us. I raised an eyebrow at them.

  "Hey Candace, how are you doing?" My mom said softly on the other line.

 "Okay, I guess. And you?"

 "Better. The doctor said he's getting better, sweetie."

 I swallowed the lump in my throat. "Mom, I really don't want to talk about it right now. I'll call you later."

  She paused for so long I thought she'd hung up. "Okay. I love you."

 "Love you too. Bye." I hung up and looked back to the boys.

   "Can you not stand there and be creepy as we sleep?" I asked, running my hands through my hair a few times.

  "What were you two doing last night when we left?" Madison asked, leaning against a wall with his arms crossed.

  "Sleeping. We didn't even know you left." Mikey answered.

 "You looked, uh, pretty close there." Louis commented. They all looked like stern fathers.

  "You've never cared about that before," I said, looking at Mikey. He had been watching me, and smiled when our gazes met.

  "S-so are you guys dating now?" Vinny asked, seeming nervous.

  I wish...

  Wait, NO! No, I don't like Mikey. I don't. Actually, I can't! Because last night when Vin kissed my neck, my heart did the same thing it does when Mikey and I touch. And you can't be in love with two people so I'm not. But I'm thirteen so I can't be in love anyways. It's, like, not even possible.