Chapter Ten

Candace Miller

I was up in my room, writing in my online blog. The boys were downstairs playing video games, the nerds. I'm kidding. I love video games, actually.

  I got bored easily, and closed my laptop. Yesterday was a great day, because Mikey and I finally kissed. And it was amazing.

  I called my mom this morning, and she said dad was doing better. Maybe life was finally looking up for me.

  With a sigh, I moved from the room and quietly down the stairs. The boys were talking, I eavesdropped on them.

  "So, Candace and I kissed yesterday." Mikey had a smile in his voice. I walked further down the steps, wanting to hear more. Their backs were to me. Call of Duty MW3 hid my footsteps.

  "Was it good?" Nick asked.

 "Yeah, better than that." He grinned.

 "I take it you like her," Jason commented as he shot someone.

 "No. I don't like her." Mikey smirked. Wh-what?

  "She sure likes you and Vinny." Thomas said. I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

 "Haha, right." Vin laughed.

  "No really, you should read her blog." Madison said seriously. "Ha, I'm kidding, I don't know what she writes about. But she does have one."

  "Who does she like?" Louis asked Madison, "It seems like your closest to her,"

  "I think she likes Spikey Mikey!" He laughed, grinning and elbowing Mikey. I was truly in shock. Did they always talk about me like this? Spill my secrets like it's nothing?

  "What makes you say that?" Mikey grinned, getting a kill-streak.

 "Hmm, I dunno, maybe the fact that she let you put your tongue down her throat yesterday!"

   "It wasn't actually 'down her throat,'" Mikey chuckled.

  "Ooh, Mikey gettin' it in!" They all laughed together, making Mikey turn red. I would have laughed, because they're all my best friends and their just joking, but now...

  "So. Let's clear up something I'm curious about." Jason started. "Who all likes Candace? Be honest." Jason raised his hand, along with Vinny and Madison. Mikey didn't raise his hand/

  "C'mon Mikester, you do too." Nick said.

 "I seriously don't." Okay, that hurt. Bad.

 "Then why did you kiss her?" Madison looked kind of angry. I can't believe they didn't know I was there.

  "She's hot. But I don't like her like that." Mikey said, I decided to step in.

 "Thanks, guys. You're all awesome friends." I said sarcastically.

  You could hear a pin drop. Each boy froze, the video game forgotten. Mikey's head whipped around.

 "Candace-" He started to stand up.

  "No, Mikey, you've said enough."

  "No! Candace, I didn't-"

 "I love you too, guys." I chuckled humorlessly and started walking up the stairs. Arms wrapped around my waist, holding me still.

  "No, I didn't mean it, I swear. Candace, I-" Mikey's voice said quickly in my ear.

 "No, Mikey." I pulled away from his grasp and turned on him. "Don't. Just don't." I snapped. I was tempted to flip him off but instead I just walked to my room.

  Oh, God, that really freaking hurt. My heart hurt right now, like it isn't even funny.

 I sat on the bed after locking the door and started blogging. Madison's phone was in our room, and it was vibrating on his bed. I ignored it.

  My own phone vibrated. I looked at the screen of my iPhone.

  Spikey Mikey: Candace I swear to God I didn't mean a word I said. I do like you. A lot. Please.

   Really? That's not what I heard. Don't even talk to me anymore.

   No! Please just listen to me! Hear me out on this one thing.

     I've heard enough Michael! I didn't text him back after that.

  I sat there for a few minutes, just sitting and staring and mentally dying. All Mikey wanted to do was kiss me. That's it. I bet he lied about it being his first kiss too.

   A gentle knock came from the door.

 "Candace? Babe?" At first I thought it was Mikey. But then I recognized voice.

  "Hey Jase," I opened the door, letting him in. He was alone.

  "About what you heard-"

  "No. Honestly, Jason, if that's what you're here for then you can leave now."

 "No I mean like... How much did you hear?"

  "All of it. From when Mikey started talking about kissing me to when he declared he didn't like me."

 "So you... Oh, alright, okay." Jason sat on my bed next to me, sighing. "I'm sorry you heard all that."

  "Do you guys always talk about me behind my back like that?" I asked.

  "We weren't talking about you like you think. I promise. We love you and we'd never do that."

 "You called me babe,"

  "Yeah," He looked down, blushing. "Why'd you let me in?"

 "I'm not mad at you,"

  "What about Madison?"

 I sighed. "No, I couldn't ever be mad at him."

  "Why?"

 "I love him."

 "And Vinny?"

  "No,  I love him too."

 "Mikey...?"

  I didn't answer right away. I looked at Jason, biting my lip. "It hurts... Hearing him say that. He didn't like me, never did, and only kissed me because I was attractive to him."

  "I think that Mikey really likes you, he just didn't want to admit it. And I think you should talk to him about it. Give him a chance to explain at least." Jason shrugged. ''We're all leaving though. Hug me,"

 I wrapped my arms around his stomach, burying my head in his neck. "Thanks, Jase. For everything. I love you."

  "I love you, too." He murmured, then left the room, shutting the door behind him. About five minutes afterward, my phone vibrated with more texts. I sighed and read them.

  Thomas: I love u Candace. I'm leaving. Make up with Mikey please

 GrandMan: Oh my God, I hate this. I'm super sorry you had to hear any of that. I love you more than anything, boo, <3

  Louis: Bye Candace, I love u!!!!!!!!! :'(

  Nicholicious: Hey, I love you. And you still love me. Right? We cool? Forgive me?? <3<3<3 Come downstairs. Kiss and make up with Mikey or I'll come up there and make you. ;)

  I replied to Nick. I love you too. Why aren't you leaving? Why doesn't Mikey leave too?

  Don't be like that. -.-

  Everyone else is

  Just come down!!!

 No.

  Please?

 No, Nick.

  I hit send and threw the phone down. This was too much. It may have been two o'clock in the afternoon, but I was going to bed.

 I was exhausted.