Chapter Twenty-One

Mikey Fusco

sighed, tugging on the end of my shirt, eliminating the nonexistent wrinkles. I looked up at the door and knocked, my heart racing. Mrs. Alamia answered, greeting me with a smile and opening the door further to let me in.

With a deep breath, I started up the stairs and into the room Candace and Madison shared.

"Candace?" I knocked, opening the door.

"What." She said in a plain voice.

"Uh, can I talk to you?"

"You already are."

"Right. Um, listen, I overreacted about the thing with Madison. He told me everything and I understand." It felt great to have that off my chest.

"And? Why are you here?" Candace snapped coldly.

"I'm sorry. I came to apologize and-"

"Just leave, Mikey." She said not too kindly.

"But, Candace, I-"

"I don't care Mikey. I really, truly don't. I'm tired of your crap." She said the words I feared most. "And I'm done."

I stood there stunned. My heart was literally breaking in two.

"Leave." Candace started singing in her beautiful voice. "It's too late to apologize, it's too late..."

"But Candace I love you!"

"With love comes trust. You didn't have that, so you obviously don't love me."

"No! Candace, I love you. I'm in love with you." I was begging for her to believe me, to forgive me.

"You're thirteen. You don't know what love is. And either way, I don't love you anymore. Whatever we had is gone. Now leave."

Leave...

The word echoed in my head. I'm sorry...

My eyes snapped open to my pitch black room, my heart thudding in my chest. I was drenched in sweat.

It was just a dream.

My hand flashed over to my desk and ripped my iPhone off of the charger. The clock read 2:13 A.M.

I jumped out of bed, not knowing what I was doing, and threw on my clothes and Vlados. Very quietly, I slid my window open and climbed out. Where was I going?

This was just like a movie. Or a sappy music video.

I came across a rose bush, and nimbly picked a red one from it's stem. I continued walking. After twenty minutes I looked up and recognized the house. I had walked to the Alamias' house.

I pulled out my phone and typed on it quickly, then read it aloud. "Candace, please, go out on the deck." I muttered. Did that sound okay? Not too straight-forward? I hit send before I changed my mind and chickened out.

  Why? She replied.

 Please, don't question it. I sent. I waited a few minutes, thinking she had ignored me and went back to sleep. I sighed and turned away from the house, about to walk home.

  I'm on my way. She texted.

"Yes!" I punched the air and walked quietly to the deck, where I waited for her. Three minutes passed before Candace slid open the door quietly and shut it without a sound.

"What did you want?" She asked. She was wearing Jason's pants and Nick's shirt. I smiled, loving how she randomly wore our clothes.

 "I came to apologize." I started, handing her the rose. She smiled and sniffed it. "I acted like a jerk and a douche and... I'm so sorry."

  "Yeah, you did. But you didn't know. I'm sorry for being on my period and being a girl, I guess." Candace laughed a little.

  "No, don't be sorry for that. I'm glad you're a girl. I'm glad you get your period. Because if you didn't, then how could we have a family together?" I asked, pulling her into a hug.

  I just stood there and held her, then eventually tilted her head back and kissed her. "I love you, Candace," I murmured against her lips.

  "I love you, too, Mikey." Candace whispered, kissing me again.