Off to Neverland (42)

“Henry!” Terra shouted out the front door, and I only stood there and watched her flatly. “It’s not like you’re never going to see him again! Hurry up and just say goodbye to Jimmy and get back inside!”

I rolled my eyes at her, not knowing if it was safe for me to say anything to her just yet. Jimmy had to leave early, so Henry was now outside saying goodbye to him. Besides annoyance, there was no emotion on Terra’s face, so I didn’t know what she was thinking at that moment. Actually, I never really knew what she was thinking, so it really wasn’t any different from any other time.

“Okay, what gives?” I couldn’t help but ask now, since both Henry and Jimmy were outside so they couldn’t hear us. But just to be sure, I shut the front door but made sure it was unlocked so Henry could get back inside later. “You seem totally cool around Henry and Jimmy now. What happened to you saying that you loved Henry and everything?”

She looked away from me without saying a word, and I stood there and waited for her to speak. She looked like she was trying to think of an excuse, but she knew that I could tell when she was lying. There was no point in doing so because she knew I was going to see right through her…

“Maybe I just… didn’t know what I was talking about when I told you that I loved Henry that day,” she shrugged, moving away from the door and making her way back into her living room. I followed her, not understanding what she meant at all. “You know how crazy and irrational I can be sometimes.”

That was true, but I really thought she meant it when she had said that she was in love with Henry. It wouldn’t have been surprising, considering the fact Henry was as good looking as he was and he was as close to Terra as Simon and I were. Even I had had a crush on Henry, but luckily I had found out that he was gay before my feelings for him could get that strong. I definitely would have gotten crushed if I had found out sometime later than I did…

“So you just came to my school, which is almost a half an hour away--even longer since you don’t have a car, and cried to me about how much you loved Henry because you were crazy and irrational?” I questioned, following her in complete confusion as we both sat down on her couch. “That’s a little too crazy and irrational… even for you.”

She still refused to look at me, and I continued to wait until she continued speaking. She just wasn’t acting like herself, so I knew that something was definitely up with her.

“Maybe I was just going through a mood swing or something that day,” she excused now. “Like menopause or something.”

“Terra,” I glared, knowing she was just trying to cover up for something that was actually bothering her. “Will you just tell me what’s wrong? We’re supposed to be able to tell each other everything.”

“I like Jimmy, okay?” she admitted, looking away and pouting as if she was a child. All I did was stare at her, not knowing what I was supposed to say to her after she had said something like this to me. “Just don’t tell Henry that I said that. He’d probably kill me or something if he found out.”

“What’s with you and liking gay guys?” I had to ask, not able to hold the question in.

Terra rolled her eyes. “Jimmy’s bi.”

I waved that little detail away. “That’s not important right now. What is important is that he’s your best friend’s boyfriend. The boyfriend of the best friend that you said you were in love with only a couple of months ago!”

“Feelings change,” Terra shrugged, as if it was no big deal at all.

Those two words stung me, and I knew that that wasn’t what her intention was at all. Jack’s feelings for me had changed, if he had ever had any real feelings at all.