Off to Neverland (1)

Don't you just hate it when stories start out like this?

"OMG! Totes! We are, like, so on the same page!"

Yeah, so do I.

"It's like we share a brain or something! BFFs forever!"

Unfortunately, this is where my story begins.

"The forever's redundant," I couldn't help but point out, not even glancing at my step-sister as we moved up in line.

Cassidy covered the receiver of her phone and glared at me. "Excuse me?"

"The forever's redundant," I repeated, just in case she somehow didn't hear me the first time. "BFF stands for best friends forever. You don't need to add another forever."

Now we were both at the front of the Starbucks coffee shop line, and she was scowling at me as the phone continued to stay pressed to her ear. Before she returned to her phone call, she turned toward the cashier but barely even glanced at him as she said, "Venti iced white mocha." She then jabbed her thumb in my direction. "And she'll pay."

Of course I would. Whenever we went anywhere, I always had to pay.

I rolled my eyes as she walked off near the pickup part of the shop, going back to her phone call. Since Cassidy came to the same Starbucks almost every single day, they knew what size that she wanted and didn't even ask. I, however, rarely ever went so I smiled at the cashier meekly when he turned toward me.

"Um, hot chocolate please," I murmured, not even looking at the cashier as I pulled out a ten dollar bill from my pocket. "Small."

"Name?" he asked after he had put the order in.

"Ivy," I answered before handing him the ten dollar bill. After getting my change, I slowly walked over to where Cassidy was impatiently waiting for her drink. I let out a sigh and waited with her, biting my tongue when she turned to glare at me.

"Yeah, I'm with my spaz of a step-sister," Cassidy reported into the phone with a scowl, resulting in me only rolling my eyes at her. "Yeah, she's wearing those ugly boots. It does make her look like a biker chick! We are so on the same page!"

Sometimes when I was around Cassidy, I just wanted to bang my head against the wall.

Really, really hard.

"Ivy," I heard a familiar person call out, and I looked over to see who was pushing our drinks over the counter to us. Cassidy quickly snatched her drink up from the counter and made her way toward the door. I didn't know if she thought I was following her or not, but I didn't really care.

I made my way closer to the counter and smiled at the person who called out my name as I picked up my hot chocolate.

"Still can't tame the beast, eh?" Simon, one of my best friends, asked as he leaned against the counter and watched Cassidy go.

"Nope," I sighed, taking a sip before almost immediately spitting it out. "Hot! Hot!"

Simon rolled his eyes, chuckling as I stuck out my tongue and fanned it.

"What did you expect, ice?" he asked, a smirk forming on his lips in seconds. "It's called hot chocolate for a reason."

I tried to speak, but my tongue hanging out of my mouth made it difficult to do so. When I felt it would be safe, I stuck it back in my mouth. It hurt, but I wasn't about to overreact like Cassidy did when she was in these types of situations.

"Answering your previous question," I began, ignoring Simon's smug smirk, "I still haven't tamed the wild beast, or whatever you said, yet."

"Stepzilla seems like a handful," Simon noted, leaning over the counter to look outside the window to see if Cassidy was still there, causing his black hair to fall into his blue eyes. "She makes me glad my parents are still married to each other."