Off to Neverland (35)

“We can go inside, if you want,” I said, my head on Jack’s shoulder as we sat on the porch to Chris’s mansion. There was a huge party going on behind us inside, but Jack and I just continued to sit on the porch steps and look out at the forest that surrounded Chris’s estate.

“I’m happy right here,” he smirked, his grip around my waist tightening. “Being here with you is the best thing that could happen.”

I giggled a little. “I couldn’t agree more.”

This day had to have been the best day of my life. My dad was proud of me, and people were actually looking at me like I wasn’t a stupid delinquent or the only poor girl in the entire school of rich kids. I got to play the lead role in one of my favorite movies, and my bitchy enemy got my miniscule part. It definitely was the best day of my life.

“Yo, Jack!” Chris shouted, opening the door and beckoning his best friend inside. “Get in here, man! We need you for something!”

Jack looked at me, and I nudged him in the ribs to tell him to go. He smiled at me, leaning forward and pecking me on the lips before getting up from his spot and following Chris inside his house.

I sat by myself on the porch for a few minutes, pulling my knees up to my chin and wrapping my arms around my legs. It was a nice night out, which was a surprise considering it had been raining hard the night before. But now it was warm outside, and I could hear crickets chirping from the forest all around.

It was such a relaxing setting, but of course it had to be ruined.

“Hey,” a new voice suddenly said, and someone else was plopping down next to me on the porch.

I turned toward Simon, smiling at him as I said, “Hey!”

“You did great today,” Simon informed me, and I couldn’t help but notice that he was slurring his words a little. “Better than Courtney ever could have done.”

“Thanks, Simon,” I smiled, feeling a little uncomfortable as he sipped out of his red plastic cup. I was pretty sure I knew what was in there… “You did great, too.”

“I do wish you could have played the feather duster,” Simon continued now, getting closer and closer to me now. “Because I got to kiss you.”

I blinked at him. “What?”

“I’m happy that I got to kiss you,” he repeated, and I knew that he had been drinking, which wasn’t normal for Simon. He hadn’t even drunk before… “I’ve wanted to do that for a long time… Ever since we were kids. Maybe even since I first met you.”

“We met when we were babies,” I reminded him, sliding away just a little bit.

Simon grinned, leaning closer. “Exactly.”

I pushed him away before his lips could find mine. He stared down at me, looking a little hurt, and all I could do was stare up at him in shock. What had happened to my best friend? This wasn’t like Simon!

“What are you doing?” I asked, my hands on his chest to keep him back.

“Kissing you,” he answered matter-of-factly. “Or trying to, at least.”

“Why?” I swallowed, slipping out of my seat and standing up now. Simon stood as well, but he didn’t stumble like I thought he was. He didn’t look drunk, but he was talking and acting like he was.

“Because I love you,” he answered, taking a step toward me and grabbing onto my hand. “I’ve been in love with you ever since we were kids, Ivy.”

I stared up at him in complete shock and horror. This couldn’t have been the truth… He was just spouting out ridiculous things because he was drunk! That had to be it! Simon couldn’t have been in love with me!