Chapter 12

We head to Nicks house and continue dancing in his backyard. As we sit and talk about what a fantastic night it has been, it starts to get a bit chilly, Nick suggests we head in to keep warm. We laugh and joke about the mariachi band leader, who kept telling us to have more shots and they were some crazy shots. I mean if shots are name Bazooka, Tank, Bull Frog, it's lucky we are still standing.

I wake up to the door bell ringing incessantly. The door bell never sounded this annoying. I guess because the ringing continued in my head. I woke up realizing that Nick and I dozed off on the couch. His arms were wrapped around me and my head lying on his chest. I heard a low sexy rumble as he came to, he looked shyly at me, cleared his throat and said your dress needs some adjustment. A nipple of mine started peaking out, I quickly tugged the dress and arranged myself as Nick walked towards the door. I heard Sophie's voice and I groaned inwardly, this is not going to be good. I didn't feel up to get into another fight. She walks in and whines that everybody has been trying to reach him since last night. Where was he? Why didn't he respond to his texts or pick up his calls?
She turns and sees me and stars glowering. Completely ignores me , refusing to acknowledge me and says, we need to go, Grandma is sick. Pack your stuff come on let's go.
And just like that the mystical night came to an end with this witch swaqking away.

"Sophie please wait in the car I will be with you in 10 mins." Nick said worriedly.

Sophie turned to leave throwing  a glowering look before she walked out.

"Lina I'm sorry, I got to to check what's happening. Let me drop you on our way. I'll go pack and just be back."
He didn't wait for me to respond and was busy scrolling through his phone. I saw the worried look on his face. I wanted to leave but he already mentioned that I have a habit of not waiting for me. I decided to go to the guest bathroom and just freshen up until he came.

The drive home was awkward, Sophie pouting in one corner, no doubt angry about Nick and me spending time, Nick busy thumbing through his phone  and me waiting for this ride to get over. I felt like the other woman, a position I did not want or choose to be in. Nick followed me as I got out of the car. He said he will call me later once things settled down with his grandmother.

The next few days were quiet, I didn't hear from Nick and Mack was still in Dubai so there wasn't much work to handle, which gave me a lot of time to overthink about Nick and Sophie. So as to not self wallow in pity I kept myself busy and hung out with Joshua, Angele & Ben. All changed one Wednesday when the receptionist said there was a guest to see you. I thought it might be Nick, wondered it's weird since he generally is well known in the office as Mack's friend and didn't need to be permitted to be allowed in. Nevertheless I asked her to send him in. As I saw him walk towards me, I froze in my seat, sweat started trickling down my spine. I see Jack's smug face walk towards me. How did he find me? I thought I ran far enough for him to never find me. how did he know where I worked? What was he doing here? So many thoughts were racing through my mind. I calmed myself, I was strong, he didn't have any control over me. He couldn't do anything to me, he couldn't touch me or hurt me like before. He had no control.

"Lina, babe you didn't think I forgot about you now, did you?"Jack sneered.

"What are you doing here?" I responded

"I want you back Lina, we were good together. My life is empty and lonely without you"he walked over and sat on my desk with his legs spread as he talked. "You need to come back. Why are you struggling working like this, come back home and I can take care of you. You don't need to be someone else's bitch getting him coffee and doing his work. You can do that for me."

"Im doing great on my own Jack. I am busy so please leave." I replied trying to sound brave.

Jack comes closer and leans into me and says "you will do even better with me. I can show you how" Just as I push him and walk away he grabs my arms and snarls "bitch don't you walk away, while I am talking to you. Just because you got some fancy job in some big office doesn't mean you can disrespect me."

"Jack you are hurting me, please let me go."I whimper. Fear clouding me. I had to be strong but Jack wouldn't care about hurting me here. Where no one knew him. I was all alone in the office too. No one would hear me. His grip got tighter and I could feel his nails dig into my skin.

"Is there a problem here?, Do i need to call security?"I hear Mack's voice boom and relief floods all over me.

Jack growls and turns to look at Mack, he realizes this is out of his depth. Gives his most charming smile and says just some personal stuff, we can finish up later. I was so glad Mack walked in, in relief my eyes were watering. Jack says darling, we will catch up later and walks away. Mack comes to me and inquires if I am ok. I nod without looking at him, hoping he doesn't notice me shaking uncontrollably.

Softly he says "Lina, do you need to tell me something? I am here, you can talk to me." I nod and respond that I am fine. He tells me to go home if I like and heads into his office.
I call Ben and asks him if he wouldn't mind walking me home, since after Jacks visit I have become a little jumpy. Ben happily obliges and meets me below the building. Ben was a joker, always brought a smile to my face. Had unlimited stories to tell, his life was like a comedy movie. Constantly teasing me about how I pronounced words or what my quirks were. I reached home less worried and more calm. Ben volunteered to walk me home the next two days and I thought his company would be a good distraction from Jack and from Nick.

Authors note:
I have started writing a short poem named Unpublished Pain. Would love if you all gave it a read and dropped a few comments.

Thanks for reading this book. Without you my motivation to write would be dead.

Cheers!!